Better Than Nothing!

cloudsweeper

A glance out of the window after 6.00am revealed large gaps in the clouds, so I set up the new Exp Sci ED80 Apo on the top of the SkyTee II (great slo-mo, with cables).  The waning Moon, just gibbous, was west of south at under 30deg. elevation.  I scanned across Plato and the Alpine Valley to Cassini, which was very close to the terminator (passing right across M. Serenitatis).  At x80, the two large craters in Cassini's floor were clear.  Seeing was poor however, and the view shimmered except at the lowest mags.  The strong gusts also contributed to the instability.

Then a swing to the east where I landed on the lovely Albireo (Cygnus).  At x24 the split was easy, although still close, along an E-W axis, with the yellow and blue-white of the components nice and clear.  Clouds then moved over that region, and the sky was getting lighter, so back to Luna for a last look before breakfast.  The larger of the craters in Cassini's floor revealed its distinctive pear shape this time, very rewarding.

It was only a short session, under the hour, with favourite targets revisited.  But it was still good to actually get out.  Session no. 10 this year, not so bad really!

Doug.

Nice one, Doug. I bet you were pleased to get out with the new scope. I’m looking st something along those lines for a travel/widefield scope but a doublet rather than a triplet. 

10 sessions is great going. 2019 has been a bit of write off from an astronomy perspective for me. I’m sure clearer skies are waiting around the corner though! I did have a nice little lunar session recently so shouldn’t grumble!

Very nice. I'm way behind you on a meager 4. So first impressions of the views? Any differences on the moon compared with your dob? Close enough to get the little frac out for short sessions? And what about doubles. Albireo is obviously a wide one but how different is the view? Sorry for all the questions- you're probably trying to have breakfast. 

44 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Nice one, Doug. I bet you were pleased to get out with the new scope. I’m looking st something along those lines for a travel/widefield scope but a doublet rather than a triplet. 

10 sessions is great going. 2019 has been a bit of write off from an astronomy perspective for me. I’m sure clearer skies are waiting around the corner though! I did have a nice little lunar session recently so shouldn’t grumble!

Thanks Neil!  You know how it is - I agonised for ages about the new 'scope - decided the ST120 was OK at that aperture (and still widefield) - so it had to be an 80.  The Exp Sci is a fine looking instrument, very compact, and ultra-wide field.  I like the R&P focuser, having had slippage issues with Crayfords.  I know a doublet would be fine for visual only, but what the heck, I went for no CA!  Also, being the size it is, there are no issues with weight and long cool down.  Very pleased with my choice!

Doug.

44 minutes ago, domstar said:

Very nice. I'm way behind you on a meager 4. So first impressions of the views? Any differences on the moon compared with your dob? Close enough to get the little frac out for short sessions? And what about doubles. Albireo is obviously a wide one but how different is the view? Sorry for all the questions- you're probably trying to have breakfast. 

Thanks Dom!  The views seem to be generally sharper, stars are well-defined points across more of the field than with the Dob.  The resolution is not as good of course, but this will only affect very close doubles etc..  I've yet to spend time on clusters and a range of doubles - early days yet, but signs are positive!

Doug.

4 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Thanks Neil!  You know how it is - I agonised for ages about the new 'scope - decided the ST120 was OK at that aperture (and still widefield) - so it had to be an 80.  The Exp Sci is a fine looking instrument, very compact, and ultra-wide field.  I like the R&P focuser, having had slippage issues with Crayfords.  I know a doublet would be fine for visual only, but what the heck, I went for no CA!  Also, being the size it is, there are no issues with weight and long cool down.  Very pleased with my choice!

Doug.

I’ve been enjoying your posts on the new scopes. It certainly is a handsome addition :) The choice of doublet is to keep it light for travelling and I believe a triplet can be a bit more troublesome for collimation? Like Dom I’m curious as to how you find it compared to the dob. It’s occurred to me that the ED80 would be great for those occasions when it’s grabbing a few minutes with no time for cooling. 

8 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I’ve been enjoying your posts on the new scopes. It certainly is a handsome addition :) The choice of doublet is to keep it light for travelling and I believe a triplet can be a bit more troublesome for collimation? Like Dom I’m curious as to how you find it compared to the dob. It’s occurred to me that the ED80 would be great for those occasions when it’s grabbing a few minutes with no time for cooling. 

The collimation is set at production, so (I assume) never needs doing, unless you drop it!  As I said above, the views are nice and sharp across a wide field compared with the Dob.  Poorer resolution might be evident on occasions, and dimmer objects more elusive, but it is certainly much easier to set up and use than the Dob of course.  As for weight - it is really very manageable.  No problem holding it with one hand under the tube, even on the nifty little stand I made for it ........

(It's shown with the dewshield retracted.)

Doug.

P1060791.JPG

An interesting choice of scope and mount Doug, 

I had a Skytee and it had a fault, was sorted but somehow it lost its charm, was a solid and nice mount.

80mm scopes have a charm, my old SW ED80 used to give wonderful Lunar views, that ES with nice focuser looks to bring all the things I like together in one small package,

I am trying to thin my heard but people keep putting shiny new things in my view! 

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

An interesting choice of scope and mount Doug, 

I had a Skytee and it had a fault, was sorted but somehow it lost its charm, was a solid and nice mount.

80mm scopes have a charm, my old SW ED80 used to give wonderful Lunar views, that ES with nice focuser looks to bring all the things I like together in one small package,

I am trying to thin my heard but people keep putting shiny new things in my view! 

Thanks Alan!  I shall also use it on the AZ4, although that lacks the very useful slo-mo controls/cables.  It goes well atop the Skytee, and will serve well there as a guidescope for the 8" SCT when used in manual mode.  (Can't always be bothered with GoTo!)

Doug.

Archived