NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eqmod help please

I have just changed my laptop and it now does not have a serial connection so i will have to use USB.

Where can i get a lead to go from my Laptop to mount (Heq5pro) so i can use Eqmod ???

I think i need a Usb to RJ45 lead ........

Cheers

Steve

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could not agree more with Steppenwolf. If you get the EQDIR you'll also need a cable from the EQDIR to the HEQ5 - Opticstar sell them as well (ie in addition to the USB/serial converter).

No more messing around with the handset, so you could sell it (I haven't just in case) if you wanted to recoup the cost.

Mike

So if you an HEQ5;

lappy=USB-serial adapter=EQDIR=?

can you splice an RJ45 lead into the EQDIR module to run into the mount or do you need yet another adpter?

Karlo ( someone on UKAI is contemplating making the EQDIR modules for alot less than the 37.00 from Opicstar)

How did you end up housing it Steve? And did you make any alterations to the Robotics circuit board ?

Karlo

I installed it in a plastic project box complete with a 12v distribution outlet, a port for my GPS and a couple of other bits (I am a radio amateur so I enjoy electronics) but it doesn't have to be this complex at all! I didn't have to make any alterations to the Robotics circuit board but I did have to make up my own leads but they were made from bits from my junk box or are cheap enough from Maplin.

interface_box_ext.jpg

Does anyone know what sort of issues there are with using EQMOD with the latest Synscan handset instead of using the EQDIR interface?

Regards

Kevin

No 'issues' as such but it is another cable (curly at that!!) and another module to get in the way, move and change the balance of the system and is superfluous to the operation of the system.

How did you end up housing it Steve? And did you make any alterations to the Robotics circuit board ?

Now to throw a cat in amongst it all what about these Blue-tooth serial adapters?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99180

2x of these, one at each end plus rqd.adapters of course :D

Karlo

I use one to control my LX90 from TheSkySix pocket edition on my XDA phone works a treat.

Regards

Kevin

Does anyone know what sort of issues there are with using EQMOD with the latest Synscan handset instead of using the EQDIR interface?

Regards

Kevin

No 'issues' as such but it is another cable (curly at that!!) and another module to get in the way, move and change the balance of the system and is superfluous to the operation of the system.

Maybe so if you have an Obsy but the controlling of the mount will be done from the remote desktop on my PC in the house from the laptop outside which will be locked in the pedestal. So the handset may be handy if I want to control the mount locally.

Regards

Kevin

Umm, if I have this right (having followed the links above from Reggie)

Buy the TTL232R, download driver, splice the wires as directed from an RJ45 lead solder to the fly lead of TTL232R( as directed), house and connect to the mount's RJ45 socket and Bob's your father's brother !! :D ?

Karlo

Umm, if I have this right (having followed the links above from Reggie)

Buy the TTL232R, download driver, splice the wires as directed from an RJ45 lead solder to the fly lead of TTL232R( as directed), house and connect to the mount's RJ45 socket and Bob's your father's brother !! :D ?

Karlo

Sounds about right to me!

Maybe so if you have an Obsy but the controlling of the mount will be done from the remote desktop on my PC in the house from the laptop outside which will be locked in the pedestal. So the handset may be handy if I want to control the mount locally.

Kevin, if your 'external PC' is not accessible during operation then you are absolutely right.

That's it in a nutshell Karlo, by far and away the cheapest option :D

The only apparent issue with EQMod and direct to handset cable is using the handset whilst using EQMod. If you don't plan to use the handset for the whole session then you shouldn't have too many problems. (although some users have apparently reported some comms issues).

If you want to use the handset while using EQMod there are things you must do, 1. align the mount using the handset, 2. align again in EQMod, when you want to use the handset again I believe you have to close down EQMod and take the handset out of PC-Direct mode, play with the handset, put it back to PC direct mode, then reconnect EQMod. Not sure if you have to park between switching or not.

Of course you could always use a gamepad from EQMod but it depends what functionality you want, if its just slewing and slow motion control then you'll be fine, if you want to switch targets I think you're stuffed.

I have to admit I do like the option of the EQDIR-USB, ie just one lead to the mount and nothing else. The H/set needs to be inputted with data blah blah blah then scrolled thru to PC direct and then you can get started with EQMOD.

Not having the handset there means one less thing to go wrong,collect dew etc etc, best keep it safe indoors until well ?

The instructions on the your link Reggie seem straight fwd enough and I had no idea about the TTL232R, that's a major boon !

Karlo

Not sure who I'm going to buy it from, there are quite a few places that knock out the FTDI TTL usb cables/boards. I'm after some other electronics for a couple of projects so I may well end up buying it from where I buy the project kit from.

(edited for correctness)

Archived