Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Condensation Question . . . . .

Evening all!

Due to the cloud curse that afflicts new telescope owners, tonight was the first time since 25th December i have managed to get out with my shiny new telescope! I have had a good two hours out under the stars, and i am blown away by the views my Explorer 150PL has shown me (I am doing a blog here in SGL, so please take a look for the upcoming 'First Light' entry - (Here).

I have a noob question - bringing in the scope from the outside it has obviously attached a lot of condensation on the outside of the tube, and also the mount. I have dried off the worst of it, and have left the main cap on with a small air gap, Going forward, is this something I need to worry about?

Going to bed now as work in the morning (boo!!)

Thanks in advance

Nige

When I finish up either an observing or an imaging session I leave all the equipment open to the air overnight behind the couch in my den, then put things away next day. I don't know if this is necessary, but I can't see that packaging everything up wet can be good for it. Better safe than sorry, in my mind.

When bringing your kit in dripping wet, or when it's colder, covered in frost try to leave all the caps off and the tube pointing down to prevent drips falling on your mirror. I also leave my eyepieces uncovered to dry naturally.

Same for me, I just leave eyepieces cases open with caps off, and scope with caps off to dry naturally over night. Just make sure you never put anything away when it is damp as that risks fungus growth.

Archived