7th Jan 19

Ed in UK

Finally managed to grab an hour last night as the skies round here (North Lincolnshire) have been pretty dire for the last couple of weeks at least.

Last night was pretty breezy, but I thought I had a sheltered spot in the garden but even with a 18mm (x50) EP in place I had to wait for vibrations to stop before being able to focus properly. Cloud rolled across the skies, contrary to weather forecast, but with the occasional window I did manage to see something.

Equipped with my Observing List in SS6, compiled after starting to read Turn Left at Orion I turned my scope towards M42 and began chipping away at the list.

I could make out the Trapezium in the middle of M42 and just about separate A to D in the 25mm (x36) EP, increasing to 12mm (x75) I could easily achieve separation, however has the cloud started to roll across I did lose star 'B' for pretty much the rest of the time. Theta 2 was highly visible and remained so for the duration. On to M43 which I'm sure I could just make out the nebula and it's star mainly with indirect vision. I couldn't see any thin dark strip that would separate the M43 & M42 but probably beyond the scope of my equipment, experience and conditions. Using the 12mm (x75) EP nebula disappeared but could still just make out the star in M43.

Next it was down to Iota Orionis, but couldn't make out any other stars close to it (understand it to be a double) maybe with better conditions I may be able to separate them out.

Whilst looking at Iota Orionis I could clearly see Struve 747 and clearly separate out A & B, Struve 745 was more difficult, I could see that there was something there with a little time and indirect vision I was able to pick out both A & B. Both of these with observed with 25mm (x36) and 18mm (x50) EP's due to the conditions.

By now I was spending more and more time trying to stay on the stars whilst waiting for the clouds to pass so decided top call it a day.

A quick question to those of you far more knowledgeable that myself, Iota Orionis, Struve 747 & 745 are they part of NGC 1980 or should there be a separate cluster around there ?

I could see an arc of 4 or 5 stars nearby Iota Orionis but couldn't see any tight groups of stars.

Thanks for reading.

Ed

Great stuff, Ed. Quick thought on the vibration. Tighten the screw that holds the metal bar for the counter weight. I found this would require tightening every couple of months or so. When it was loose I had troubles with vibrations as you described. 

I just grabbed a SkySafari screenshoot based on your 18mm of Iota Orionis. I’ve given the flipped view to match what you saw through the eyepiece. 

B4872D5A-6D6D-4B6B-8E8B-3477344A2C24.thumb.png.7d977ca4dcd2d40f02d728bfe5563794.png

If you haven’t seen it already then take a look at Sigma Orionis. There’s 4 stars there to be seen!

58 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Great stuff, Ed. Quick thought on the vibration. Tighten the screw that holds the metal bar for the counter weight. I found this would require tightening every couple of months or so. When it was loose I had troubles with vibrations as you described. 

I just grabbed a SkySafari screenshoot based on your 18mm of Iota Orionis. I’ve given the flipped view to match what you saw through the eyepiece. 

B4872D5A-6D6D-4B6B-8E8B-3477344A2C24.thumb.png.7d977ca4dcd2d40f02d728bfe5563794.png

If you haven’t seen it already then take a look at Sigma Orionis. There’s 4 stars there to be seen!

Thanks Neil, just checked the counter balance bar, managed to squeeze probably less than an 1/8 of a turn on it but always wise to check. Thanks for the tip. ?

Yes I used SS6 last night to help me out, pretty much looked like that but a lot less hazy, at least when I could see it .... lol.

Sigma Orionis add to list now, thanks for that.

Going to work my way through Turn Left at Orion targets, but also got a list of objects to look at from the Sky at Night magazine as well.

Thanks Ed

Nice session there Ed.  I always tend to point the scope this way and that and get a little carried away looking at too many objects..  maybe I'll do what you've done here and take advantage of one are before moving on...?

Good report... it doesn't surprise me that weather forecasts cant get the weather right from night to night, here the resident Meteorologist couldn't predict what the weather will be in 4 hours.. he said cloudy but it was clear... hmmm... , but it always amazes me that they can tell us what it will be in 50  or 100 years... HAHAHAH

I'm glad you had a night of observation, even if juggled between clouds.

46 minutes ago, mark81 said:

Nice session there Ed.  I always tend to point the scope this way and that and get a little carried away looking at too many objects..  maybe I'll do what you've done here and take advantage of one are before moving on...?

Thanks Mark,

My list is currently made up of recommendations from magazines and books and I have found the the observing list in Sky Safari 6 useful to focus my attention. 

Before I would go out with a list of couple of things to look at then start aimlessly wondering around the sky.

I feel better for being more organised now. ?

Archived