Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen HR or Takahashi TOE?

JTEC

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of these eyepieces?  I use a TEC140 and the Tak Abbe orthos, which I find to be excellent. Looking for shorter hi res options the Vixen HR and the Tak TOE look like the obvious contenders among those that are actually available and - at least relatively - affordable. I’ve read Bill Paolini’s positive review of the Vixens but there’s not much comment out there on the Taks. What little discussion I’ve been able to find is fairly inconclusive - not surprising perhaps if they’re both very good and give comparable results. I just wondered whether anyone was in a position to comment from experience?

Hiya there, I have one of each and I find them both very good indeed and each have their own merits. As they are different focal lengths is difficult to say if one is more favourable than the other. 

Just to throw a spanner in the woks ...... Bang for buck I would go for one of the Nagler zooms ? (See signature)

Many thanks for your advice. Agreed about the difference in fls. The choice for me would be between the 3.4 Vixen and the 4mm Tak. The shorter fls look v interesting but I’m not sure they’d get used enough - I’m not often going below 6 mm (or equivalent with 9mm orthos + gpc in the binoviewer). Maybe that’s the answer right there ...   would you be willing to spell out the relative merits a bit, please?

58 minutes ago, JTEC said:

Many thanks for your advice. Agreed about the difference in fls. The choice for me would be between the 3.4 Vixen and the 4mm Tak. The shorter fls look v interesting but I’m not sure they’d get used enough - I’m not often going below 6 mm (or equivalent with 9mm orthos + gpc in the binoviewer). Maybe that’s the answer right there ...   would you be willing to spell out the relative merits a bit, please?

I use an extremely sharp low scatter Zeiss 25.1-6.7mm zoom/VIP barlow combo and my 2 HR's-2.4mm,3.4mm went by it in my TSA120 under great seeing on the moon. I went 375x and was not seeing limited, scope limited or eyepiece limited with the HR's. I'm buying the 2mm HR Vixen soon.

I think Tammi Homma on CN like the TOE as well if you can find the thread.

To be honest my friend it is difficult as they both can outshine each other dependent on the target and you need very good conditions. I mainly observe coloured / double stars and Lunar targets.

Between my three high power eyepieces and my VIP Barlow I can achieve some very high magnifications with my scope and all of them perform fantastic. 

The HR is marginally more contrasty with tight doubles and has a brighter image even though it is the highest power !!!!

The TOE is marginally sharper with Lunar. 

The Nagler Zoom is probably less contrasty than both and gets quite dark at high power, but beats the other two when observing Saturn. The NZ also has a better range of focal lengths and is a lot easier to use for any length of time. (High power viewing can be quite a strain)

Now throw in the VIP Barlow and all changes, for some reason this Barlow improves proceedings when it shouldn’t !!! 

I have written a few comparison reviews on SGL that you can read, and I am pretty sure the above will be about the same.

Note: Floaters can be a huge factor using these eyepieces, fortunately it is not an issue for me as yet.

Hope this helps ?

Your most welcome, If you can get hold of a second hand Nagler Zoom 2 - 4mm I would go for it (no longer in production)....or the 3 - 6mm if you have a longer focal length scope. You will get more use out of these with our UK skies ?

Jetstream, thank you!  That’s  very helpful - and a very impressive performance.  Can’t go wrong with either, by the sound of it.  I’m inclined to the HRs, prob the 3.4 to start with and see how that goes.

Jetstream, it is wonderful.  I’ve had it for nearly 10 years from new.  I do have other scopes, but this is the one I couldn’t part with.  It does make me pernickety about eyepieces though  ;>).  For interest, I’ve built up a collection mostly by Tak and Televue, including several pairs to use with a Baader Mk V. For visual, I use it in an AZ EQ6 in alt-az mode.

I use my HR 3.4mm and 2.4mm with a TV60 and they are superb - the best I've own. With the Tak-100 I prefer ZZ+VIP (same combo mentioned by Gerry) because it offers a bit more FOV. The HR works superbly on that telescope too though.

Another super combo is the Docter 12.5mm + VIP. Love this on Jupiter with the Tak.

Many thanks Piero.  I’m committed to stick with fixed fl because of the sets I've built up over some time. I’d like a hq zoom at some point though.

People have been very helpful on this forum!  Only good words said about either the HRs or the TOEs.  Spoilt for choice! Opting not to go too extreme at this stage, I’ll probably go for the 3.4 Vixen.  

Thanks all.

Archived