Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ problem !

halli

Nice info Stash - I like the 5v  3A DC convertor option.   I may just get one of these as they are quite cheap   - I have mains available in the garden but it would be quite useful for portability.   I tend to use a mobile power bank for 5V power for things like powering a star adventurer and dew control bands instead of lugging a 12v battery around but it is not man enough for a Pi !

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, halli said:

Nice info Stash - I like the 5v  3A DC convertor option.   I may just get one of these as they are quite cheap   - I have mains available in the garden but it would be quite useful for portability.   I tend to use a mobile power bank for 5V power for things like powering a star adventurer and dew control bands instead of lugging a 12v battery around but it is not man enough for a Pi !

Its not the voltage its the current (amps) that is also very important. The 5v 3A are ok for RPI1,2 and zero(and dew heater) but they only really have "peak" 3a and using 2 connections via the dual USB splits this - Ok there are single USB output versions but my own believe is get more than quoted especially for the Rpi3b+.

I dont have a problem with Ubec - tried and tested by RC Model flyer's for years for low interference but I just liked the "potted" approach for outdoor use.

Yes I do "lug around" a large 12v battery for my "Grab and Go" but I dont have power problems either - just a bad back even though the battery is on wheels.

Cables are another issue - especially the USB cables that provide power - learnt this at my cost. If you can get past the "sales patter" find a good quality cable. Example using the same 5v 3A device with one cable I get the "lightning icon" using the same power supply but another cable no such problem. Shorter the better stops voltage drop.  Lindy's Cables in the UK are normally good if you buy the more expensive  ones - its a expensive hobby ?

Hope you find your "ideal method" - clear skies

Maybe "Ascom Remote" or longer term Ascom Alpaca would be better solution than Indi LOL - certainly interesting reading.

But like all these things - Does It Work.

But it does seem to have one big advantage (maybe) over Indi the initial "Remote Ascom" uses tried and tested existing Ascom aware Applications and Ascom drivers. Interesting ?

I have asked the Indi forum for their comments !

Archived