Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ problem !

halli

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Std Ekos does not show any devices "connected" in any profile it initially just allows the user to add/edit/delete or select a profile. Then you press "Start Indi" - this then uses the profile you have selected and loaded Indi Device window. It differs here on what you ticked in the profile chosen. 

If you clicked "auto connect" once you click "Start Indi" then it will try to connect the devices you have picked and configuration them according to the configuration saved - ok if all the devices are attached using the default configuration.

If you didn't click "auto connect" then when you click "Start Indi" it will present you with the profile you have chosen and will allow you to change some details - so for example change the connection type from serial to Ethernet. At this point you have to press the "connect" button - if the device can be fully connected and accepts you details Indi Devices will expand the number of  "TABS" so you can tweak some of the parameters (if required). Initially you might have to save the configuration for each device connected so that it remembers the parameters on the "TABS" you have changed (or not). You repeat this for each device - any  errors wll be shown in the status window at the bottom. 

Assuming no errors you  go back to the Ekos window and you will see extra Icons  for a Camera,Alignment,Focus, and so on - you are now ready to start Astro work.

From what you say it sounds like you have used a mix of remote and local,are using the Web service or the system has really "screwed" up (tech term ? ) but the screen pictures would have helped - oh well.

Sorry about the links.  So much for trying to dump photos from google photos website directly into the response - they looked alright until I posted the response.  Anyhow here they are in the order they should appear in the text

IMG_20190121_132809.thumb.jpg.e70b44861196dc0d596cc45ed6301583.jpgIMG_20190121_132419.thumb.jpg.3d59dc1bb25d9eef31a18173b2d91414.jpgIMG_20190121_133328.thumb.jpg.be15151c990bf569bee088d273491db8.jpg

Hi LightBucket - ok the second screenshot shows what is visible when I click the equipment is connected to this computer.  I have shown this when just using the Pi alone. and Ekos presets the profile screen to local.  As you can see Altair is not visible.

The third screenshot shows the CCD list when I have clicked on equipment connected to a remote computer hence the Ekos has set the profile screen to remote.  In this case I am using my desktop and have connected to the Pi using Astroberry.local in my browser which is Microsoft Edge.   I guess this is a VNC connection to the Pi and Ekos is still running on the Pi but is being controlled via my desktop.  I have clicked on the remote computer connection to illustrate that Altair is now visible on this screen.

Hope this makes sense ! 

No, you have it wrong, the first bit is correct, when you connect directly to the PI it is set to local, and the driver is not there, so the rpi must not be updated.

But it’s NOT remote when connecting through VNC it’s still local, as you are still using the ekos on the rpi...it’s only remote when using ekos loaded on your desktop and connection to INdiserver on the rpi that way, without ekos running on the rpi...

basically it makes no difference to the ekos settings on the pi they should be identical whether connection directly with mouse keyboard and monitor to the rpi, or via VNC to the rpi, they are both local as you are using ekos installed on the pi in both instances...

Its only remote when you fire up ekos thats loaded on your desktop and connect that way to INdI on the rpi..

What you are seeing is consistent wit what I was saying. To be certain I'd like to see the drivers.xml file and the contents  of the folder. Easiest way might be to log on to the RPi and fire up its browser. Log on to SGL and attach the file: /usr/share/indi/drivers.xml

To list out the folder contents open up a terminal session then:

cd /usr/share/indi

ls -al > ~/indi.txt

Then attach indi.txt which you will find in your home directory

When you use the remote connection - astroberry.local should be pointing to your RPi or you could enter localhost to be sure. Either is the same as using the local connection but at least you can see all your drivers.

3 minutes ago, kens said:

What you are seeing is consistent wit what I was saying. To be certain I'd like to see the drivers.xml file and the contents  of the folder. Easiest way might be to log on to the RPi and fire up its browser. Log on to SGL and attach the file: /usr/share/indi/drivers.xml

To list out the folder contents open up a terminal session then:

cd /usr/share/indi

ls -al > ~/indi.txt

Then attach indi.txt which you will find in your home directory

When you use the remote connection - astroberry.local should be pointing to your RPi or you could enter localhost to be sure. Either is the same as using the local connection but at least you can see all your drivers.

I dont think the OP is skilled enough yet with this to be doing all that.. no offence to him... :)

hes not using a remote connection, that is the issue, he is only using local , in both instances he shows above

Ok thanks for both your responses.

LB yes I understand fully what you said.  There is no confusion there.  I used the remote connect button simply to illustrate that the other drivers became visible under these circumstances and were on the Pi  but not visible when I used local.  This is the precise issue The Pi appears to have been upgraded with Ekos only pointing to the new drivers as if the devices are connected to a remote machine.  I simply haven't the option to select them under a local condition so I can't use them.  QED.  

Thanks Kens - you may have something there.  I feel in my bones there is a config issue as the driver list should be the same no matter whether you are connected to local or remote !  I will work through what you said .   Otherwise it's a question for the Astroberry developer !   

Au revoir for now and will update when I have more time to play !

Thanks again for your support on this - it's quite frustrating

Ian

If the 2 images are of  Kstars/Ekos running on the same RPI then Ken is correct (your configuration files are screws up) or you have mixed nightly updates with stable updates and something failed. Remote and local should be the same (never heard it not being but I admit that Indi is full of weird bits!)

I never use the wizard and autoconnect is not a good thing to use first time, IMHO. 

You are either very unlucky or have discovered a problem which you should pass back to Astroberry creator - he's a good guy to "talk" too!

When you have the time start afresh new image. Then keep it simple create 1 profile and stick to it. Start the profile out with just the mount and 1 camera. If that works add each piece of kit one by one each time making sure the item works (by works in this case just means is seen and connects ok) before moving onto the next piece of hardware. Do not use Kstars on a remote PC for now do it all on the RPI. Once you have you finished profile then try it out in the real world.

Dont give up but I would admit using Indi is a steep learning curve and a different concept to grasp ? Actually the concept is as old as IT just has newer names  LOL

Clear Skies

Could Ian not try reinstalling indilib?

Sudo apt-get install indi-full

I have looked on my rpi and indi-altaircam.xml is present in my usr/share/Indi folder

Also would "software updater" from system administration work just a thought as I ran this the other day and updated a few indilib drivers

just a thought

Andy

indi.txt

19 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Could Ian not try reinstalling indilib?

Sudo apt-get install indi-full

I have looked on my rpi and indi-altaircam.xml is present in my usr/share/Indi folder

Also would "software updater" from system administration work just a thought as I ran this the other day and updated a few indilib drivers

just a thought

Andy

indi.txt

Yes, that’s all he needs to do, run the software updater, and that will update all on the rpi, it’s the same as my Stellarmate.. :)

I have looked in drivers.xml and in the rest of the usr/share/indi folder on the Pi as Ken suggests and found there are drivers in both these locations in fact the majority of the CCD drivers are outside drivers.xml.   Not sure what logic is being followed but appears to be a bit haphazard.    ALso there is no altair driver in either place so where is it ? as it appears on the Ekos remote screen and also appears in the Kstars device manager and didn't before the upgrade 

Looks like the upgrade I performed may not have been fully effective for some reason.  Dont know where it installed the new drivers but I think herein lies the problem !   

Wrt re-installing indilib I am of course happy to do this although I have already reflashed the astroberry image and done a sudo apt update and upgrade on it and that appeared to work so dont know what extra the software updater can do.

Nothing lost though so I will do that this evening and post back.

You lot deserve the title of honorary boyos !

1 minute ago, halli said:

I have looked in drivers.xml and in the rest of the usrs/share/indi folder on the Pi as Ken suggests and found there are drivers in both these locations in fact the majority of the CCD drivers are outside drivers.xml.   Not sure what logic is being followed but appears to be a bit haphazard.    ALso there is no altair driver in either place so where is it ? as it appears on the Ekos remote screen and also appears in the Kstars device manager and didn't before the upgrade 

Looks like the upgrade I performed may not have been fully effective for some reason.  Dont know where it installed the new drivers but I think herein lies the problem !   

Wrt re-installing indilib I am of course happy to do this although I have already reflashed the astroberry image and done a sudo apt update and upgrade on it and that appeared to work so dont know what extra the software updater can do.

Nothing lost though so I will do that this evening and post back.

You lot deserve the title of honorary boyos !

Ian,

In my indi folder I have a drivers.xml file then a load of other indi_xxxxxxxxxx.xml files plus other files, 54 in total in my indi folder

on you rpi desktop you have application places system,

click on system then click on administration then click on software updater

it will ask for the astroberry password then perform updates

see how you go with this

Andy

Ive just got one thing to say to you lot

Message from Ekos

Altair GPCAMMT9034M is online

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees success at last.

Thanks everyone for holding my hand 

Well it certainly tests your understanding when things go wrong so Ive gained  quite a bit from the experience !

Im not sure why sudo apt update and upgrade didn't work properly but unfortunately they did sufficient for me to think they had worked and the problem was elsewhere.  Looks like Ubuntu software updater did a better job.  The new drivers are clearly listed in the local list without the funny symbol.  I guess there is a learning point there for future updates !   

Another plus is that the Altair driver worked on the old GPCAM camera which James F was having trouble with so hopefully he will read this post !

Well now I have control of my mount using bluetooth and hopefully access to guiding via GPCAM.  My main ZWO camera ASI1600mm-c will hopefully work as I have already tested the ZWO driver out on rhe ASI120MC. 

Need to also try my ATIK wheel and muck around with plate solving and lots to learn about Kstars.   Im sure there will be further problems but hopefully they will be solvable !

Thanks again to Stash, LightBucket, Andy, Ken and James for your input ! Hopefully I haven't missed anyone

Ian

5 minutes ago, halli said:

Another plus is that the Altair driver worked on the old GPCAM camera which James F was having trouble with so hopefully he will read this post !

I have indeed read it :)  Looks as though I must have something set up incorrectly somehow, though I can't work out what at the moment.

If you're comfortable doing this, it would be very handy to know what is displayed if you open a terminal window on the Rpi (with the camera plugged in) and enter the command "lsusb", so I can check that we have the same USB vendor and product IDs.  If that's pushing you out of your comfort zone then no problem :)

It's a strange one though.  I have this camera and a colour version and the colour one works fine.

James

34 minutes ago, halli said:

Ive just got one thing to say to you lot

Message from Ekos

Altair GPCAMMT9034M is online

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees success at last.

Thanks everyone for holding my hand 

Well it certainly tests your understanding when things go wrong so Ive gained  quite a bit from the experience !

Im not sure why sudo apt update and upgrade didn't work properly but unfortunately they did sufficient for me to think they had worked and the problem was elsewhere.  Looks like Ubuntu software updater did a better job.  The new drivers are clearly listed in the local list without the funny symbol.  I guess there is a learning point there for future updates !   

Well now I have control of my mount using bluetooth and hopefully access to guiding via GPCAM.  My main ZWO camera ASI1600mm-c will hopefully work as I have already tested the ZWO driver out on rhe ASI120MC. 

Need to also try my ATIK wheel and muck around with plate solving and lots to learn about Kstars.   Im sure there will be further problems but hopefully they will be solvable !

Thanks again to Stash, LightBucket, Andy, Ken and James for your input ! Hopefully I haven't missed anyone

Ian

Happy to have helped that's why we are here Gosh I have been stuck a few times and good old SGL comes to My rescue

Archived