Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ problem !

halli

Hi

Bought the latest version of the Raspberry Pi ie Pi 3 Model B+ to fiddle around with Indi and establish a telescope control hub.

Tried to install Ubuntu Mate and it wouldn't boot.  It boots fine with a Raspbian image so hardware and SD card is ok. 

I get  no green light and the red power led flashes 4 times long and 4 times short.  The hdmi video out gets stuck at the rainbow screen with a yellow lightning flash on the RHS.   

I have done some research and this seems to  indicate that the OS is not compatible and cannot progress with the boot code.  It is def the Ubuntu Raspberry Pi image  I downloaded and used Etcher to write to the SD card and this worked fine 

I know Gina has a tutorial for this installation and I am dong the same thing 

Has anyone else come across this issue or can help with a solution please ? - is it related to the Model B+ perhaps ?

Thanks

Ian

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Ian,

Ubuntu Mate 16.04 does not work with the RPI 3b+ out of the box a problem with the kernel Head over to the indi forum a lot discussed about this. I have the same problem with my Rpi.

Regards

Andy

Oh yes it does, it’s 18.04 that has issues...!!

that sounds like a power supply issue, if there is not enough power it can get stuck in a re boot loop...?

I use this exact model PI for my complete imaging set up, with out issues, so I can be sure it does work, but I use the Stellarmate OS Image, which costs $50 so not quite the same, although I have put ubuntumate in with no issues before...

As I said before make sure the power supply is at least 2.5amp, or you will have issues, like you are having..

Does not work for me using genuine RPI power supply 5.1v 2.5 amps from element 14.. as per the rpi org forum a lot of probs with 16,04.  on indilib they say use stellarmate.  where did you get your image from for 16.04 and whose script did you use would be greatly appreciated I tried ubuntu's own link and Robert's script on my 3b+ and failed.

Andy

51 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Does not work for me using genuine RPI power supply 5.1v 2.5 amps from element 14.. as per the rpi org forum a lot of probs with 16,04.  on indilib they say use stellarmate.  where did you get your image from for 16.04 and whose script did you use would be greatly appreciated I tried ubuntu's own link and Robert's script on my 3b+ and failed.

Andy

Lol, Stellarmate is Ubuntu mate 16.04.... its just got some extras and all packaged ready to use with no configuration needed... :)

Are you sure you are not trying to use version 18.04....the newer one as that has issues, the older 16.04 is fine and as I said that is what SM is anyway...

This is a simple way to test your kit out https://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot  it will then run Ubuntu 16.04 Mate + Indi + Ekos + Kstars - you install Indi bits -Note that its 32bit running not 64bit. For 64bit RPI3+ and 5GHZ wifi I have used Raspex http://raspex.exton.se plus Ubuntu 18.04 server edition works for Indiserver only - note "server edition"

18 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Lol, Stellarmate is Ubuntu mate 16.04.... its just got some extras and all packaged ready to use with no configuration needed... :)

Are you sure you are not trying to use version 18.04....the newer one as that has issues, the older 16.04 is fine and as I said that is what SM is anyway...

cheers head banging like I said crashed after flashing I've about 6 Rpi's for other things from the very first to the latest. and my indi one is running on rpi3b not the + could not get it working with ubuntu 16.04 works a treat on Raspbian also archlinux that's another story...

3 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

cheers head banging like I said crashed after flashing I've about 6 Rpi's for other things from the very first to the latest. and my indi one is running on rpi3b not the + could not get it working with ubuntu 16.04 works a treat on Raspbian also archlinux that's another story...

Hmmm, I’m confused as to why Stellarmate works ok the rpi3b+ (which is Ubuntu mate) but you can’t just install Ubuntu mate 16.04 straight onto your b+... ??

2 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Hmmm, I’m confused as to why Stellarmate works ok the rpi3b+ (which is Ubuntu mate) but you can’t just install Ubuntu mate 16.04 straight onto your b+... ??

as per the OP same problem are you sure yours is the 3b+ and not just the 3b as this is the 64bit processor?

2 minutes ago, stash_old said:

An Ubuntu 18.04 lts server edition straight from Ubuntu Site (64bit) 

You can of course use the images from the Ubuntu Mate etc sites - but make sure you have quality SD cards _Sandisk A1 class 10 or the like and Real ones.

ubuntu-4.png

ubuntu-3.png

using sandisk class 10 card don't buy cheap expletive removed …. stashold I take it you just run the server end on rpi and kstars on local machine?

2 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Mine is 3b+ and there is no Ubuntu mate that works on 64 bit, mine is 64bit rpi but there is only 32bit Ubuntu mate for rpi…

everytime I image the Microsd card it fails on first boot I have 3 3b+ cards one for my 3d printer works fine with octoprint another for acars (plane plotting running Raspbian) another for gprs/arps amateur radio arch....

1 minute ago, LightBucket said:

But there is no Ubuntu Mate 64 bit, to work directly on rpi3b or b+..?

I know that it is the architecture of the device yet ubuntu 16.04 fails and I do not know why on indilib forum just get stellarmate solves it all....

if it worked for you what was your workflow to get 16.04 to work to a valid logon then there is the problem with firefox not working etc...…………..

Never tried it on a RPI3B+ but you could try https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Raspberry_Pi#aarch64_supported_images_for_Raspberry_Pi_3 .

Have run Fedora 28 on AMD with Kstars/Ekos/Indiserver local and remote.

I even used,as a test, my Zero W to run Indiserver for my DSLR and Mount - no problems  so long as you have a decent Wifi Signal to connect too

Dont forget RPI3b and RPI3b+ use different CPU - Arm7h and Armv8 so images are not interchangeable ?

Try Rufus to write your SD images - etcher normally works but Rufus ok too https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html.

What size SD cards are you using as a matter of interest ?

Archived