Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spacecraft to Slam into the Moon

Jamie

This would be great to see.

Scientists are plotting out a “crash course” in learning what happens when a European lunar probe slams into the Moon.

The European Space Agency’s (ESA) SMART-1 spacecraft—now circling the Moon—is headed for a planned early September impact with Earth’s celestial neighbor.

Read more here. http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060307_smart1_moon.html

Don't you have to work out the force of the impact of the probe into the moon, thus getting an idea of the flash, crater size and ejecta plume. Once you know this, then you try to work out if your 'scope can resolve it.

Or am I talking rubbish?

Tom

I think that resolution is on the order of a kilometre. Remember, not even Hubble can resolve objects on the Moon landing sites, where some objects are 4m square.

I hope they crash it in the nighttime part of the moon, to enhance the chances. Is it going to be setting or rising in the UK?

I was part of the vast crew of amateurs trying to image the crash of the Lunar Prospector probe back in 1999. Hundreds of us set up to video and take spectra etc. The hope was to crash the probe into a crater containing water, near the south pole and watch for ejecta. Noone saw anything, unfortunately. I got some great video of the moon, though. :?

You can probably forget about seeing the craft itself. The smallest craters I can identify with my C8 are about 5km or so, so WH is about right. (Hadley crater, near the Apollo 15 landing site is easily visible at 6km.) If the impact generates enough of a plume, (somewhat doubtful), you could conceivably see it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If I could try it again, I would though. (Masochistic, I guess...) :laugh:

Archived