Nikon or canon

Hi folks, I’m looking as many people are after Christmas etc to buy a dslr to start my adventure into Astro photography. I am currently looking at either a Nikon d5100 or a canon D 500 or 550 if funds allow. What are people’s thoughts on these cameras? I don’t want to mod them as I would like to use my dslr for daytime photography as well.

Canon 550d has an additional bonus of being able to video in 1:1 on the sensor great for Moon or planets but doesn't have an articulated screen which the canon 600d has. Canon is hugely supported astro wise, Nikon is making progress but I chose canon because I can control the Canon 1100d as I don't have a laptop so use my android 7 inch tablet as that suits me.

I've used a Canon T2i (550D) for seven years practically every day while walking the dog out on the bush trails around here and can attest to its durability, as it must be over the 3/4 million click mark, judging by the hundreds of photos I've taken every day.

I bought a T6i to modify for this new venture because of the reduced noise factor, and the articulated screen is proving invaluable. Don't discount this handy feature.

I would also go along the Canon route myself, even though I'm a Nikon user (only because I already owned a D5300 when I started out in astro.) I did have a Canon 550D which I loved. However, I attempted to mod it myself and managed to slip with the screwdriver and go all the way across the PCD. Got my a*** out with it and repeatedly stabbed it thru the mirror. I'll be replacing it at some point in the new year, ideally with something with an articulated screen

47 minutes ago, Maxrayne said:

I would also go along the Canon route myself, even though I'm a Nikon user (only because I already owned a D5300 when I started out in astro.) I did have a Canon 550D which I loved. However, I attempted to mod it myself and managed to slip with the screwdriver and go all the way across the PCD. Got my a*** out with it and repeatedly stabbed it thru the mirror. I'll be replacing it at some point in the new year, ideally with something with an articulated screen

Ouch, that's a frustrating, expensive slip, and having owned a 550D (T2i) for a long time, I feel for the camera, too! I hummed and hawed about modding my T6i myself, as the tutorials seem rather straightforward (I kidded myself), until my whiz brother mentioned in passing that he'd done several in the past (funny how you think you know someone!) in his field as a repair tech. Lowest Pro cost I could find until then was $300 Canadian. I slipped my brother $100 and picked it up next day. The articulated screen is an outstanding feature.

19 minutes ago, Seanelly said:

Ouch, that's a frustrating, expensive slip, and having owned a 550D (T2i) for a long time, I feel for the camera, too! I hummed and hawed about modding my T6i myself, as the tutorials seem rather straightforward (I kidded myself), until my whiz brother mentioned in passing that he'd done several in the past (funny how you think you know someone!) in his field as a repair tech. Lowest Pro cost I could find until then was $300 Canadian. I slipped my brother $100 and picked it up next day. The articulated screen is an outstanding feature.

Just had a quick word with a local dealer (thanks to this post) and I'm swapping out my Nikon for a Canon 700D. Thankfully I kept the rest of my Canon gear lol.

And yeah, was a definite "red haze" moment that sadly cost the camera. Lesson learned lol. 

I'll be looking at having the 700D modded at some point, and not by myself this time ??

1 hour ago, Maxrayne said:

Just had a quick word with a local dealer (thanks to this post) and I'm swapping out my Nikon for a Canon 700D. Thankfully I kept the rest of my Canon gear lol.

And yeah, was a definite "red haze" moment that sadly cost the camera. Lesson learned lol. 

I'll be looking at having the 700D modded at some point, and not by myself this time ??

Keep in mind this pricey oversight on the part this inexperienced newby: I thought I did all the research necessary, then bought an IDAS LPS D1 clip-in filter for the new camera for prime focus imaging with the scope, only later to discover that the D2 would have been the better choice (if I understand correctly) to combat the newer LED city lighting going into effect lately, and also that if you are using EF-S lenses on your Canon for possible wide-field imaging, they will not lock into the camera body with the IDAS clip-in filter in place (I know, as my 50mm and 50-250mm are EF-S). I had to purchase a 2" LPS D2 filter to cap the lenses instead when I will be imaging with camera lenses alone, though eventually I will get EF lenses.

If you are using EF lenses, however, then they will fit on the camera body with the clip-in filter in place, according to the info I've gathered from this site. Also, if you do have EF-S lenses and you come across info on this site that informs of the possibility of trimming off the EF-S flange to make it fit with the IDAS clip-in filter, do not try it. I did, with a beat up old 50mm, and it doesn't work, and having a thirty-five year background as a millwright, I can safely say that I did everything possible to effect a positive result. Perhaps the lenses might fit with a different brand of clip-in filter, I don't know, but not the IDAS.

I hope this potentially saves you a headache down the road, or at least a few bucks.

Archived