SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quick session - 8th Dec 2019

Stu

I was actually trying to see the comet, but didnt have any luck, presumably due to the bright sky background. So, I opted for a little smartphone AP instead.

These were all with the little TS 72mm f6 refractor on my Ercole mount, so no tracking. They were also handheld because I didn't want to set the smartphone adaptor up. Not too bad considering. Nice to see some clear sky!

20181209_190217-01.jpeg

20181209_203447-01.jpeg

20181209_222917-03.jpeg

20181209_222917-01.jpeg

20181209_222917-02.jpeg

I've literally just joined, and this is the 1st discussion I've looked at. Because I've just invested in my 1st telescope since a toy one as a child lol. I bought the celestron powerseeker 114eq, from what Ive read, a fairly average beginner amateur telescope for price(forked out alot this month, christmas and birthdays, but wanted to treat myself to a little something.) But seen some fairly decent images taken through the telescope. After just buying this, I dont really want to fork out on a high quality camera (just yet, at least). I'm just curious what camera phone was used for these images, and what settings if so? I've no experience in photography so wouldn't know where to start. If you could either point me in the direction of a discussion, or kindly explain the settings used to get the top 2 images(or all if same settings), that would be highly appreciated. Many thanks.

Stay Gazing.

On 12/12/2018 at 00:46, levi1197 said:

I've literally just joined, and this is the 1st discussion I've looked at. Because I've just invested in my 1st telescope since a toy one as a child lol. I bought the celestron powerseeker 114eq, from what Ive read, a fairly average beginner amateur telescope for price(forked out alot this month, christmas and birthdays, but wanted to treat myself to a little something.) But seen some fairly decent images taken through the telescope. After just buying this, I dont really want to fork out on a high quality camera (just yet, at least). I'm just curious what camera phone was used for these images, and what settings if so? I've no experience in photography so wouldn't know where to start. If you could either point me in the direction of a discussion, or kindly explain the settings used to get the top 2 images(or all if same settings), that would be highly appreciated. Many thanks.

Stay Gazing.

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

I use a Samsung Galaxy S9 which has a very good camera, specifically it is very sensitive and has low noise levels. I understand that the Huawei P20 Pro is even better, it has a dedicated mono camera and can take exposures up to 30s, whereas the S9 is limited to 10s. Even so, comparing the S9 with my iPhone 6 plus, you can really see a big improvement in low light prrfktmsbl

That said, the images in this thread were taken with a 0.5s exposure whilst handholdjng the phone up to the eyepiece, and with a manual mount, not one with tracking. ISO setting was its highest ie 800, aperture at f1.5.

Light pollution was a factor as you can't go too long without the background getting over bright.

I use an app called Snapseed to process the images on my phone, it works very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived