Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade LXD55 power advice.

Mattyboy1658

Hi Guys,

Needing some advice, I have recently acquired a Meade lxd55 German equatorial goto mount, I got my power supply for it today plugged it in and it seems there should be more oomph ,the power light seems to be quite dim compared to an older Meade mount I had and the motors seem like they are struggling.

The the power output is 12v DC 5a , should the mount work okay at this output or should the amps be higher? 

I could upload a video of needed .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Matt

I'm just in the process of building a new power distribution box and I'm going to be running my mount from a 13.8v linear power supply. I have a Celestron CGEM mount.

Can you check that your power supply is putting out 12v when it is under load, i.e. when the mount is slewing in Dec and RA?

If it is; the manual for this mount states 12v as the power requirements; then you may have a binding or over tightened gear mesh or a short somewhere in the wiring!

Hope you get it sorted.

25 minutes ago, Stargazer33 said:

I'm just in the process of building a new power distribution box and I'm going to be running my mount from a 13.8v linear power supply. I have a Celestron CGEM mount.

Can you check that your power supply is putting out 12v when it is under load, i.e. when the mount is slewing in Dec and RA?

If it is; the manual for this mount states 12v as the power requirements; then you may have a binding or over tightened gear mesh or a short somewhere in the wiring!

Hope you get it sorted.

Hi there

Thanks for the advice

I've just noticed the output was 5v 5a which maybe explains it, I'll need to get a cable to plug into the 12v power port rather than usb on my power pack , I have noticed the 497 controller seems to think it is an altz mount and not equatorial, does the handset require an upgrade of some sort or should it automatically recognise it? Sorry but I'm new to all this. 

Matt.

12 minutes ago, Mattyboy1658 said:

Hi there

Thanks for the advice

I've just noticed the output was 5v 5a which maybe explains it, I'll need to get a cable to plug into the 12v power port rather than usb on my power pack , I have noticed the 497 controller seems to think it is an altz mount and not equatorial, does the handset require an upgrade of some sort or should it automatically recognise it? Sorry but I'm new to all this. 

Matt.

You should be able to set it to equatorial in the hand controller.

Dave

10 minutes ago, KevS said:

Good evening,

I rebuilt a LXD55 a few weeks ago in view of using it as a travel mount. Complete strip down, polish bearing surfaces and Teflon bearings re-grease etc. I ran it on test from a lab stabilized power supply. It was running at 12V and pulling 3.5-3.6A on fast slew. I found that the dec shaft nut was a tadge problematical to get set correctly. Might be worth a butchers. Also "Weasners" is a good source for all things LXD55.

K

Thanks kev

I'll have a look at weasners, I was thinking on stripping the mount and doing the same you have done as it's probably needing it ,and I don't mind getting into stripping stuff down.

Matt

8 minutes ago, KevS said:

Matt if you get stuck taking it down PM me there are a few small pitfalls that are not obvious first time round.

K

Thanks kev , probably worthwhile doing it, I'll wait until after the festivities are over and give it a bash.

Matt

Archived