Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What SCT?

So I'm making my final decision before purchasing and have three routes I can go. I have put them in order starting with the most likely route.

1.  Stock Celestron Nexstar 6SE - I'm thinking this is the best option to go with and to save up for an HEQ5 mount I can add in the near future. This would get rid of the need for an apparently useless wedge and I have seen a few people do this.

2. Celestron Nexstar 5SE with Extra Eyepieces - This would be second as I am getting a good offer for one at £469 Brand New. It would leave me with budget for some eyepieces and it will have the not-so-good wedge. But the mount doesn't seem that good and compared to option #1 I think it wont be as good.

3. Skywatcher 200p with EQ5 - I am most unsure about this route but included it as it's an EQ Newt within my budget. However this is a non-go-to scope and wouldn't want something to go wrong while trying to motorize it.

So these are my routes, and I'm looking to order in the next 3 days.

Thanks!

Hi,

I see this is your second thread. In the other you seem to want to try visual then move to imaging.

My advice would be to not try to merge these two options.

I would say spend a small part of your budget on a visual setup, I will come back to this...

And buy the book, “making every photon count” straight away (imagers bible) and read it cover to cover over the cold winter months... return to imaging at that time with more knowledge and maybe more budget!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Right back to something visual for use now. You could still use your visual kit while your imaging rig is running so no need to throw it away.

Your best bang for buck is a 200p dobsonian. Simple as that!

ww.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

If you want something with GOTO that can find the objects for you to view then maybe the AZ5 GTi ?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

or this if you want 6” aperture...?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150i.html

I am just not sure that your best bet for imaging is an SCT. An 80mm refractor will be the best start on the road to imaging, but don’t spend anything on imaging until you have read “Making every photon count” is the best advice I can give.

This may be no help, sorry, but I would not buy any of the 3 you mention and I am just trying to help.

Alan

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:14, Jojo204 said:

So I'm making my final decision before purchasing and have three routes I can go. I have put them in order starting with the most likely route.

1.  Stock Celestron Nexstar 6SE - I'm thinking this is the best option to go with and to save up for an HEQ5 mount I can add in the near future. This would get rid of the need for an apparently useless wedge and I have seen a few people do this.

2. Celestron Nexstar 5SE with Extra Eyepieces - This would be second as I am getting a good offer for one at £469 Brand New. It would leave me with budget for some eyepieces and it will have the not-so-good wedge. But the mount doesn't seem that good and compared to option #1 I think it wont be as good.

3. Skywatcher 200p with EQ5 - I am most unsure about this route but included it as it's an EQ Newt within my budget. However this is a non-go-to scope and wouldn't want something to go wrong while trying to motorize it.

So these are my routes, and I'm looking to order in the next 3 days.

Thanks!

Hi - Just spotted your post above.  A couple of things that spring to mind based on my own experience rather than reviews:

1. Skywatcher 200P  (I have had three of them) - A wonderful instrument for both visual and photographic use... BUT ...  not on an EQ5.   The EQ5 will be at it's absolute limit for visual use, adding additional weight of (presumably a DSLR) for photography will be too much for it.  HEQ5 would be the sensible choice to carry a 200P or PDS (the better option)  - one other thing re the 200 ...  it's bigger than you think!

2. You appear not to have considered an Apochromatic Refractor.  Something like the Skywatcher ED80 DS Pro would be an excellent choice for both visual and astrophotography and one you are never likely to regret.  Think of it as being the equivalent of adding a 600mm 'L' series lens to a Canon DSLR  (apologies if you're a Nikon user) but at significantly lower cost.

3. These options are probably well in excess of your budget, but unlike the AZ Goto kit that you're looking at, will be 'keepers'.   If you still want to buy AZ / AZ Goto kit, buy it second hand, that way when you realise it's limitations. you might get back most of what you spent on it.

Oh yes and:  Somerset's not SO boring ...  I make a twice yearly pilgrimage down that way to get decent dark skies!

Have fun with whatever you opt for!

17 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

Hi,

I see this is your second thread. In the other you seem to want to try visual then move to imaging.

My advice would be to not try to merge these two options.

I would say spend a small part of your budget on a visual setup, I will come back to this...

And buy the book, “making every photon count” straight away (imagers bible) and read it cover to cover over the cold winter months... return to imaging at that time with more knowledge and maybe more budget!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Right back to something visual for use now. You could still use your visual kit while your imaging rig is running so no need to throw it away.

Your best bang for buck is a 200p dobsonian. Simple as that!

ww.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

If you want something with GOTO that can find the objects for you to view then maybe the AZ5 GTi ?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

or this if you want 6” aperture...?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150i.html

I am just not sure that your best bet for imaging is an SCT. An 80mm refractor will be the best start on the road to imaging, but don’t spend anything on imaging until you have read “Making every photon count” is the best advice I can give.

This may be no help, sorry, but I would not buy any of the 3 you mention and I am just trying to help.

Alan

Yeh I have had a look at those but my camera would need a Barlow lens to reach focus with them and the 6” looks good but I don’t see the difference between that and a 6SE. As mentioned in the other thread, I want to do both but if I had to choose would rather do imaging. It doesn’t matter if it’s that good really as this is my first ever telescope and want to try it out. I have been reading about what I would get for my main scope (in about 6 months) and decided an Explore Scientific ED80 on a nice EQ mount would be my way to go but that’s in the future not now. This would really just be a nice portable scope for some casual evenings when I’m bored! Also I will buy that book as soon as possible, many have recommended!

1 hour ago, BlabyStarGazer said:

Hi - Just spotted your post above.  A couple of things that spring to mind based on my own experience rather than reviews:

1. Skywatcher 200P  (I have had three of them) - A wonderful instrument for both visual and photographic use... BUT ...  not on an EQ5.   The EQ5 will be at it's absolute limit for visual use, adding additional weight of (presumably a DSLR) for photography will be too much for it.  HEQ5 would be the sensible choice to carry a 200P or PDS (the better option)  - one other thing re the 200 ...  it's bigger than you think!

2. You appear not to have considered an Apochromatic Refractor.  Something like the Skywatcher ED80 DS Pro would be an excellent choice for both visual and astrophotography and one you are never likely to regret.  Think of it as being the equivalent of adding a 600mm 'L' series lens to a Canon DSLR  (apologies if you're a Nikon user) but at significantly lower cost.

3. These options are probably well in excess of your budget, but unlike the AZ Goto kit that you're looking at, will be 'keepers'.   If you still want to buy AZ / AZ Goto kit, buy it second hand, that way when you realise it's limitations. you might get back most of what you spent on it.

Oh yes and:  Somerset's not SO boring ...  I make a twice yearly pilgrimage down that way to get decent dark skies!

Have fun with whatever you opt for!

Yes those sound good but are all over budget, as I said in my reply to alanjgreen this is kind of a starter ‘back-up’ scope if you will for some casual evenings! And Somerset does still have quite a bit compared to Devon ?

43 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You need to specify what you'd like to do with your proposed setup. No one system will do everything and compromises risk doing nothing well!

Oly

Says in my other thread!

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

You need to specify what you'd like to do with your proposed setup. No one system will do everything and compromises risk doing nothing well!

Oly

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Can't have too many threads!

Ollyu

Marks for spelling own name correctly...........C-

Must try harder ?

Archived