Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" filter with a 1.25" eye piece/Diagonal

souls33k3r

Hi All,

Asking this question for a friend who accidentally bought a 2" visual filter rather than the 1.25" from AliExpress.

By the time he had noticed his error, it was already too late.

He can not return it back because shipping it back to China will cost him just over £80.

Now he has this filter on him and he doesn't know what can he do with it? His scope is a Celestron 4SE which only has the 1.25" eye piece and a diagonal.

Is there a clever way you can think of that he can use his 2" eye piece with an adapter of some sort?

Thanks in advance.

If the scope has sufficient travel in focusing, the connection could be made by:

1) a 1.25" male/2" female adapter.  These allow 2" eyepieces to be used in 1.25" focusers. 

They are generally not a good idea, but they do exist and are available.

Plus

2) a 2" male to 1.25" female adapter that is threaded for 2" filters (many/most are) so he can use 1.25" eyepieces with a 2" filter on the adapter.

This combination will require a focus change of at least 2".  I don't know if the 4SE has that much travel in focusing.

Personally, he should sell the 2" filter on a classified astronomy site (there are many) to recoup some of his cost, and accept the loss.

At least it won't be as bad as if he had lost the filter.

6 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

If the scope has sufficient travel in focusing, the connection could be made by:

1) a 1.25" male/2" female adapter.  These allow 2" eyepieces to be used in 1.25" focusers. 

They are generally not a good idea, but they do exist and are available.

Plus

2) a 2" male to 1.25" female adapter that is threaded for 2" filters (many/most are) so he can use 1.25" eyepieces with a 2" filter on the adapter.

This combination will require a focus change of at least 2".  I don't know if the 4SE has that much travel in focusing.

Personally, he should sell the 2" filter on a classified astronomy site (there are many) to recoup some of his cost, and accept the loss.

At least it won't be as bad as if he had lost the filter.

Cheers Don for your input.

Yeah i don't know much about the 4SE focus travel either but i think your second option is a viable solution.

You got any links to that by any chance?

Unfortunately he's in Pakistan and there really aren't any dedicated classified astronomy websites as such so people mostly rely on word of mouth or general sales websites.

Ah.

Well, then we're back to the shipping issue.

But here are some English language classified sites:

astromart.com

astrobuysell.com

astrobuyandsell.co.uk

astronomyconnect (classifieds coming)

astroclassifieds.com (on Facebook)

astrotradingpost.com (Yahoo group)

cloudynights.com>>forums>>shop & swap forums

cloudynights.com>classifieds

iceinspace>>classifieds

astronomyforum.net>>classifieds

eBay.com

craigslist.com

evaconline.org/class-ads.html

scopeandopticstrader (on Facebook)

skyandtelescope.com/marketplace

etc. (nearly every club has a website with classifieds.  see astronomyclubs.com)

3 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

Ah.

Well, then we're back to the shipping issue.

But here are some English language classified sites:

astromart.com

astrobuysell.com

astrobuyandsell.co.uk

astronomyconnect (classifieds coming)

astroclassifieds.com (on Facebook)

astrotradingpost.com (Yahoo group)

cloudynights.com>>forums>>shop & swap forums

cloudynights.com>classifieds

iceinspace>>classifieds

astronomyforum.net>>classifieds

eBay.com

craigslist.com

evaconline.org/class-ads.html

scopeandopticstrader (on Facebook)

skyandtelescope.com/marketplace

etc. (nearly every club has a website with classifieds.  see astronomyclubs.com)

Cheers mate, yeah pretty well versed with almost all of them.

I'll see if i can find something for him that works otherwise i'll see if i can sell it here. Not an uber expensive filter but still someone's hard earned cash :)

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

Hi All,

Asking this question for a friend who accidentally bought a 2" visual filter rather than the 1.25" from AliExpress.

By the time he had noticed his error, it was already too late.

He can not return it back because shipping it back to China will cost him just over £80.

Now he has this filter on him and he doesn't know what can he do with it? His scope is a Celestron 4SE which only has the 1.25" eye piece and a diagonal.

Is there a clever way you can think of that he can use his 2" eye piece with an adapter of some sort?

Thanks in advance.

£80 back to China... ???, that’s ridiculous...

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

Asking for a friend eh?...........?

Seriously, If he was happy with the price, find the specs of the filter and see if someone is prepared to do a swap with a 1 1/4 one.  He's not losing and the swapee is gaining.

He could make an off-axis aperture mask and attach it to the opening.  It would really restrict his light gathering, but it would work.

He could get a really long eye relief eyepiece and put it between his eye and the eyepiece.

2 hours ago, LightBucket said:

£80 back to China... ???, that’s ridiculous...

Ok i lied, it works out £70 but still crazy for shipping it back. The darn thing only cost the poor guy $30.

2 hours ago, RayD said:

Asking for a friend eh?...........?

Seriously, If he was happy with the price, find the specs of the filter and see if someone is prepared to do a swap with a 1 1/4 one.  He's not losing and the swapee is gaining.

Hahahaha it really is for a friend. You know i'm not a visual guy :) He's in Pakistan so not ideal that i'm not there so thought i should ask the best people i know on the internet which is all you lot :)

Not a bad shout on the swap. Let me see if i can find any such info about the filter. But the swapee will have to trust me on sending his one first so that i can take it back to Pakistan in the next few weeks and then when i return, i'll bring it back with me :) I'm an honest guy but not sure people would trust my mug :D

54 minutes ago, Louis D said:

He could make an off-axis aperture mask and attach it to the opening.  It would really restrict his light gathering, but it would work.

He could get a really long eye relief eyepiece and put it between his eye and the eyepiece.

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, is there something you know i can visualise? 

Archived