Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 1499 THE CALIFORNIA NEBULA

CELESCOPE

A toughy , had to cut short the subs due to the moon sitting on top of it , subs taken were 39 x 60 sec , binned 2x2 using the Sky scan HEQ6 ED 80 , HA FILTER .and processed in MAXIM , Camera was the Atik 16HR.

NGC1499, The California Nebula, is a faint diffused red nebula one-degree north of zeta Persei, and stretching itself in an east-west direction. It's about 2000 light-years away, and you can see zeta Persei as a bright star just south of the nebula. This nickname has came from its figure resembles the California in USA.

Plenty of dark filaments crossing over the nebula are captured into films with larger telescopes, and you'll know that this object has very complicated structure. Unfortunately it's extremely faint and difficult to view with naked eyes.

Rog

image.jpg

I tried to get this a while back Rog m y camera couldnt pick up anything i guess a filter is needed to get this?(HA Filter). I was using the 70-300 lens set at about 120 and i got exposures of 3 mins.

James :laugh:

yes you will need the HA filter James , its a very large nebula with low surface detail. and as isaid James not an easy one , but it can be done with your set up i,m sure ,be a good challenge for you if not this time ,but the next time around

Rog

Archived