NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 300D Modified

Taff

10 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I used one and got some good images but it is a dated camera nor and there are better options out there.

If you can modify it  yourself you have nothing to lose

Thanks tooth_dr' For your reply.Mark

@tooth_dr has got some nice images there, so it can be done, but if you've got a little budget you can definitely make life a bit easier. I modded a 400d, but after a bit of research discovered that at any iso over 400 on those early canons, the noise made it almost unusable except either on the brightest targets or with huge numbers of subs (I got a nice M42 though). 

The 450d was a big step forward at the time and they can be had 2nd hand for less than £100 and there are videos showing how to self modify, that would be considerably better.

• 2 weeks later...

The late Keiron McGrath had his 300 modified, and showed me the results, they were as good as any pictures I saw in TSAN magazine. One of his highlights was taking a picture of Pluto using his Borg 76. I must admit you wouldn’t know which was Pluto in the picture, but Keiron knew and was very chuffed to show me.

I now possess his camera and Borg scopes, and perhaps one day , I will try to capture the images he did.

chaz

Archived