Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do I further lower brightness on this RDF?

Alan White

How do I further lower brightness on this RDF, below that which is obtainable with the inbuilt dimmer?

I know how to reduce it with the knob that turns above the battery.
But how can I diy it fainter, its very bright at the faintest setting.
It is an Altair Astro RDF unit.

IMG_3345.thumb.JPG.538db3817f40ac61f27fc48060e1c3f0.JPG

In theory, the "how" is very easy: just add a resistor in series. Not sure about the value, but you can do a few tests until it satisfies you.

The only problem is that I don't think there's gonna be a lot of space to put the resistor in, so you'd have to keep this dangling wire + resistor out of it.

If i remember correctly from the one i used to have, the laser is projected from the rear?

if so, could you slightly obscure the laser just in front of the projection housing? 

I would probably use cut-to-size colored transparent pieces if I was too av a go myself.

35 minutes ago, Spaceade said:

If i remember correctly from the one i used to have, the laser is projected from the rear?

if so, could you slightly obscure the laser just in front of the projection housing? 

I would probably use cut-to-size colored transparent pieces if I was too av a go myself.

Thanks for the idea.
I tried this and find it distorts the image sadly.
Would have been an easy fix if it was ok.

43 minutes ago, GuLinux said:

In theory, the "how" is very easy: just add a resistor in series. Not sure about the value, but you can do a few tests until it satisfies you.

The only problem is that I don't think there's gonna be a lot of space to put the resistor in, so you'd have to keep this dangling wire + resistor out of it.

The problem is the battery compartment is the top of the variable resistor fitted, not sure how to remove it and keep it working?

Archived