Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stupid weather

D Wright

I looked at the forecast for tonight and it said partly clear. At 18.00 hrs the sky was perfectly clear so I started setting up. I got set up and polar aligned by 19.15 hrs and noticed it was clouding over, 5 minutes later the heavens opened, so it was get the equipment into the house as fast as I could. Scope and mount grabbed and in first and me absolutely soaked. Mount and scope not too bad just a few drops on them. These things happen from time to time but I am now drying off in front of the fire with a gin and tonic.

Just now, D Wright said:

I looked at the forecast for tonight and it said partly clear. At 18.00 hrs the sky was perfectly clear so I started setting up. I got set up and polar aligned by 19.15 hrs and noticed it was clouding over, 5 minutes later the heavens opened, so it was get the equipment into the house as fast as I could. Scope and mount grabbed and in first and me absolutely soaked. Mount and scope not too bad just a few drops on them. These things happen from time to time but I am now drying off in front of the fire with a gin and tonic.

You need to invest in a tarp (and raincoat, haha!) to combat those sudden showers! (Or at least more gin.)

1 minute ago, Seanelly said:

You need to invest in a tarp (and raincoat, haha!) to combat those sudden showers!

I know. I have a 365 cover for my dob but haven't got round to one for the frac and mount. Must put it on Santa's list.

2 minutes ago, D Wright said:

I know. I have a 365 cover for my dob but haven't got round to one for the frac and mount. Must put it on Santa's list.

I'm the other way around: I've a rain tarp folded by for the $! refractor/mount but nothing for the reflector I've owned 19 years, which can quickly be shoved into the car or house.

It must be frustrating in your part of the world to have so much wet weather; at least that is the stereotype; I'm no geographer.

I've picked THE worst time of year here in eastern Ontario to buy an astroimaging kit, as in the month I've owned it I have had a total of seven clear(ish) evenings to attempt getting my feet wet, so to speak; not from rain, which has been minimal, but just clouds, wind, clouds...and more clouds!

(By the way, Santa probably already has covers for his telescopes (that, or he just makes the rain stop); better put it on your list instead!) 

Archived