NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

6SE Vs 130SLT

I’m getting my first scope(as mentioned in my previous post) and was wondering whether the 6SE or 13SLT is better for imaging?

Edit:

I know neither is ideal for imagery but which would be better than the other?

I cannot comment on comparing those two, but I can suggest you also considering the Celestron Evolution telescope too, ( the evolution is more expensive I know, ) it has several advantages over the SE. It has good mount with a built in battery and you would have the option of Hyperstar and a F2  number, in the future as funds allow. There would be then no need for an expensive mount then, just an expensive accessory!

This is my plan with my Evolution telescope anyway, just don't tell my wife, OK? shhhhhhh ?

2 hours ago, Greymouser said:

I cannot comment on comparing those two, but I can suggest you also considering the Celestron Evolution telescope too, ( the evolution is more expensive I know, ) it has several advantages over the SE. It has good mount with a built in battery and you would have the option of Hyperstar and a F2  number, in the future as funds allow. There would be then no need for an expensive mount then, just an expensive accessory!

This is my plan with my Evolution telescope anyway, just don't tell my wife, OK? shhhhhhh ?

Haha I would if I could afford it! Maybe sometime in the future ?

1 minute ago, Jojo204 said:

I would if I could afford it!

But how much do you intend to spend on the mount and tripod? If you are serious about taking up imaging, I am reliably informed that you will have to at least a HEQ5, which costs what? £775, minimal. ?

Its all swings and roundabouts and which ever way we look at it, imaging as a hobby is going to bankrupt us! ?

35 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. Tell us what you want to image...

EDIT: OK, found it so of the two, the SLT. Images will be distorted around the edges but hey...

Others may tell you that the mount is no good for DSO imaging, but take a look for yourself at what others here achieve with such mounts.

HTH

Thanks for the advice and link, it’s very helpful! 

3 hours ago, Greymouser said:

But how much do you intend to spend on the mount and tripod? If you are serious about taking up imaging, I am reliably informed that you will have to at least a HEQ5, which costs what? £775, minimal. ?

Its all swings and roundabouts and which ever way we look at it, imaging as a hobby is going to bankrupt us! ?

Well as I said on here my budget is up to £530 and I’m not looking to go professional yet as this is my first scope and want to get to grips with it. They look good tho?

8 hours ago, Jojo204 said:

I’m getting my first scope(as mentioned in my previous post) and was wondering whether the 6SE or 13SLT is better for imaging?

Seems an artificial comparison as they aren't the same aperture and I'm sure the 6SE is a much more expensive outfit.

You could do planetary imaging and (if you are interested) try imaging small bright objects like planetary nebulae or double stars with the 6SE

The 130SLT is not really suitable for imaging anything, but somebody is likely to reply and say that they have achieved this.?  The tripod is on the wobbly side, and it may be impossible to get a camera in focus unless you modify the scope.

Neither is suitable for deep sky imaging. Note though that there is a version of 130mm Newtonian OTA, the 130PDS, which is popular with imagers and relatively cheap.

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Seems an artificial comparison as they aren't the same aperture and I'm sure the 6SE is a much more expensive outfit.

You could do planetary imaging and (if you are interested) try imaging small bright objects like planetary nebulae or double stars with the 6SE

The 130SLT is not really suitable for imaging anything, but somebody is likely to reply and say that they have achieved this.?  The tripod is on the wobbly side, and it may be impossible to get a camera in focus unless you modify the scope.

Neither is suitable for deep sky imaging. Note though that there is a version of 130mm Newtonian OTA, the 130PDS, which is popular with imagers and relatively cheap.

Thanks for the reply, yes I’m aware that the 6SE is more expensive and bigger aperture but the 130SLT was on sale and didn’t look that bad. Although @alacant said that the SLT was better haha. Yes I had a look but a GoTo mount for that is pretty expensive for my budget. I will expand to a much better imaging scope in a couple years once I’m good with a basic one!

1 hour ago, Jojo204 said:

pretty expensive for my budget.

Have you thought about second hand? There are several, or have been in the classifieds on this forum. Including a 130 with goto mount, I seem to remember. I also know of a 150p Skywatcher with EQ3/2 going for £150. It would only be a further £95 to motorise that. ?

1 minute ago, Greymouser said:

Have you thought about second hand? There are several, or have been in the classifieds on this forum. Including a 130 with goto mount, I seem to remember. I also know of a 150p Skywatcher with EQ3/2 going for £150. It would only be a further £95 to motorise that. ?

I have thought about second hand but don't really know how to tell if one's good or not in terms of condition

1 minute ago, Jojo204 said:

I have thought about second hand but don't really know how to tell if one's good or not in terms of condition

That is always the gamble, but it could be worth it, with a little luck. I would also doubt anyone on this forum would ever deliberately sell you rubbish. Could be worth a punt though? ?

1 minute ago, Greymouser said:

That is always the gamble, but it could be worth it, with a little luck. I would also doubt anyone on this forum would ever deliberately sell you rubbish. Could be worth a punt though? ?

Still not 100% sure haha

Then, if I was in your position, with your budget, I could narrow it down to one of three:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150i.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-explorer-130p-synscan-az-goto.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

They come in at £395/ £317/£314, in that order. My only concern would be how much extra equipment those mounts would take. ? Should certainly get you started though, as long as you can find a lightweight camera!

1 hour ago, Greymouser said:

as long as you can find a lightweight camera!

You'll need a short camera to flange distance such as one of the newish mirrorless cameras; the telescope mirrors are not adjustable unless you are prepared to cut the tube.

** JTOL, maybe the OP would be better using whatever camera and lens he has and invest the ? in a mount to put it on instead?

Cheers and clear skies.

1 hour ago, alacant said:

You'll need a short camera to flange distance such as one of the newish mirrorless cameras; the telescope mirrors are not adjustable unless you are prepared to cut the tube.

** JTOL, maybe the OP would be better using whatever camera and lens he has and invest the ? in a mount to put it on instead?

Cheers and clear skies. 

My camera is fairly heavy at 480g, it's a Canon 1200d so basic DSLR.

3 hours ago, Greymouser said:

Then, if I was in your position, with your budget, I could narrow it down to one of three:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150i.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-explorer-130p-synscan-az-goto.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

They come in at £395/ £317/£314, in that order. My only concern would be how much extra equipment those mounts would take. ? Should certainly get you started though, as long as you can find a lightweight camera!

Also, the 130p and 130SLT look similar (you can tell where this is going ?) are there any main advantages with the 130p?

1 hour ago, Jojo204 said:

Also, the 130p and 130SLT look similar (you can tell where this is going ?) are there any main advantages with the 130p?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find they are in fact identical optically because both Celestron and Skywatcher are owned by the same Chinese company. To further confuse matters, ? there is also the PS on another mount: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

I have been looking at that mount too. ?

9 hours ago, Jojo204 said:

a Canon 1200d

So you wll not be able to reach focus with any of the 130mm newtonian telescopes mentioned in this thread unless you use a barlow lens or shorten the tube. For €30 or so more, you could get the 130pds which will focus with a dslr, then you really are talking astrophotography, as demonstrated here. But you'd still need a mount. That may be a deciding factor.

I still think you'd be better starting with what you have and invest in a good tripod...

HTH

12 hours ago, alacant said:

So you wll not be able to reach focus with any of the 130mm newtonian telescopes mentioned in this thread unless you use a barlow lens or shorten the tube. For €30 or so more, you could get the 130pds which will focus with a dslr, then you really are talking astrophotography, as demonstrated here. But you'd still need a mount. That may be a deciding factor.

I still think you'd be better starting with what you have and invest in a good tripod...

HTH

Seems interesting, and what mount would I be needing as again I'm not 100% sure on what goes with what. 

20 hours ago, Greymouser said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find they are in fact identical optically because both Celestron and Skywatcher are owned by the same Chinese company. To further confuse matters, ? there is also the PS on another mount: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

I have been looking at that mount too. ?

ah ok

21 minutes ago, Jojo204 said:

and what mount would I be needing

Hi. I don't think you'll be able to get a mount which would do the telescope justice within budget. 

If you're determined to go with a telescope and remain within budget, you may do better asking over on the no-eq thread. I'm thinking a 130pds on an eq dobsonian platform, but I'm out of my depth with that. Good luck anyway.

HTH

Archived