Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW 9x50 finder scope for guiding?

Hi, anyone using the SW9x50 finder scope as a guide scope? does it work ok? 

I am looking to start autoguiding, and saw that the ZWO ASI120 can be used on the SW9x50, and i want to avoid buying a guide scope if possible.

Any reviews/feedbacks will be great!!!

I have used one for years on my Skywatcher ED80 Pro (510mm focal length with reducer) and my 200mm Newtonian (1m focal length). I image for up to 300s, and could do longer. Both on an AZ-EQ6 mount.  Guiding is pretty good with my ED80 and adequate with the Newtonian. I wouldn't want to use it with a scope of FL much longer than 1m.  

You didn't say what focal length scope you have or mount. 

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

I have used one for years on my Skywatcher ED80 Pro (510mm focal length with reducer) and my 200mm Newtonian (1m focal length). I image for up to 300s, and could do longer. Both on an AZ-EQ6 mount.  Guiding is pretty good with my ED80 and adequate with the Newtonian. I wouldn't want to use it with a scope of FL much longer than 1m.  

You didn't say what focal length scope you have or mount. 

I am a SW130pds fan boy so focal length is merely 650mm, on an NEQ6pro

so sounds like t should be ok

am looking out for a 200pds so sounds like it is quite future prove

12 minutes ago, lnlarxg said:

I am a SW130pds fan boy so focal length is merely 650mm, on an NEQ6pro

so sounds like t should be ok

am looking out for a 200pds so sounds like it is quite future prove

It does. I find having a dedicated finder scope for guiding quite useful though because I don't have to focus the camera each time. But then if you buy another scope you'll probably get a finder scope with it anyway.  One for finding, one for guiding. 

5 minutes ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Mine works fine with a 130pd-s and a 200p. You'll need an adaptor, though, for your guide camera to screw into the finder.

Yeah, I think the Lynx astro c adapter will do the job, since FLO is selling the bundle with this adapter included.

sounds like a go-ahead for me. I just wanted to see if finder scope is ok for guiding as it just sounded bit too easy and cost effective (cost effective and astro-imaging don’t go hand in hand :D )

3 hours ago, lnlarxg said:

(cost effective and astro-imaging don’t go hand in hand :D )

Ain't that the truth! This maybe the exception that proves the rule. In fact there are some other advantages to finder-guiders: the mounting is very easy and they're very lightweight, so less stress for the mount. 

Archived