NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back in the saddle, what am I missing

bomberbaz

Hello everyone, so finally getting my eyes skyward and getting me some observing time.

For one reason or another I have not been getting much observing done.  One of the main reasons was I was having trouble with my pushto and I found it so annoying, it kinda got pushed to one side. Anyway, a call to Orion on a freephone number too ? sorted it out. As often with scope issues it was something quite simple but needed pointing out to me. 

I have been doing a little star hopping but those of you who know me also know I prefer goto/pushto because I am a lazy old sod and prefer things easy. That said, I have to admit enjoying the star hopping thing more than I thought I would. 

Bins have also been having a lot use in the interim and although they are fun and give great wide fields, I was hankering for my scope really.

So that's the catch up, so what am I currently missing out on. I haven't been logging in here at all sadly but now I am here, can you kind people fill me in on the latest observing news please.

Hi,

Welcome back! I'm glad you've got the issue sorted, its a good feeling when kit works properly again. ?

Observing news is mostly Mars I guess, overall the planets haven't been tooo bad this year although horribly low. ? It was exciting seeing the dust gradually clear away from the red planet and the detail start to appear! Very small now but by early September I could see some nice detail with my 90mm achro. :) 

John

Yes, welcome back Baz. Not that much news lately, although there are a couple of comets around which are worth checking out, hopefully your push-to can find them ;). Comets 21P and 38P if I remember correctly.

46 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Hi,

Welcome back! I'm glad you've got the issue sorted, its a good feeling when kit works properly again. ?

Observing news is mostly Mars I guess, overall the planets haven't been tooo bad this year although horribly low. ? It was exciting seeing the dust gradually clear away from the red planet and the detail start to appear! Very small now but by early September I could see some nice detail with my 90mm achro. :) 

John

Hi John. Yes I have been watching the red planet quite a lot, even spun scope round for a quick gander yesterday but trees stop me from getting a clear view so didn't bother cranking up magnification, must try to get out to have a proper view.

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, welcome back Baz. Not that much news lately, although there are a couple of comets around which are worth checking out, hopefully your push-to can find them ;). Comets 21P and 38P if I remember correctly.

Hello Stu, think they call for my 60x20 bins if they are close enough, but thanks for heads up. I will get the comet tracker webpage up for next time out ?

40 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Hello Stu, think they call for my 60x20 bins if they are close enough, but thanks for heads up. I will get the comet tracker webpage up for next time out ?

They are not so bright or big, still worth putting a scope on them.

On 23/10/2018 at 13:28, estwing said:

Welcome back Steve ...it has been a while!

Indeed it has mate, been missing it but like I say above, it was the scope issue putting me off and limiting me to bins sessions.

Anyway, got my eye on this sunday for a short early evening session. 

Hope your well too pal.

Archived