Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uranus Opposes Sun - 2018 OCT 23-24

CentaurZ

Uranus will appear in opposition to the Sun during the night of 2018 OCT 23-24. At magnitude +5.7 it normally would be visible to sharp naked eyes under dark skies. However the Full Moon barely south (beneath for northern hemisphere observers) of Neptune in Pisces will provide substantial interference. Better viewing opportunities may be presented a week or so on either side of the Full Moon.

Photos and descriptions of Uranus would be welcome additions to this thread.

Uranus-E.JPG.c59ae9b3d57672a626729d0daba959d8.JPG

I’ve just come in from looking at Uranus and Neptune with the 10” at about 80x. Uranus was a very small distinct disc looking mostly white with perhaps a hint of colour. I much preferred the view of Neptune tonight, it was very blue and looked nice with 81 Aqua and HD217572 in the same FOV. It was very chilly despite the masses of layers I had on :) 

I have been out this evening looking at these two planets with bins. Uranus was fairly easy to see. Neptune was a tad more difficult and I found only really visible through binoculars with averted vision. 

Archived