NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DEEP SKY STACKER output image problem

Hello everyone i am experiencing this problem with deep sky stacker the brighter photo is one of the light frames and the darker one is the result from deep sky stacker. I opened the tif final image in photoshop and it looked the same, what setting i have to change so that this doesnt happen? thank you!

Screenshot_44.jpg

Screenshot_36.jpg

Edited by stonedunicorn

1 minute ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hi,

The final image in DSS will be very dark. You will use another programme such as StarTools to stretch the information hidden in the final DSS image. ?

Regards,
Steve

if  you see his light frames and the final image from dss they look almost the same exposure. I used photoshop and with some minor edit i didnt see that much results. I used 120 lightframes and some dark and biased. But the end results is nowhere near other people are getting what i did wrong? i used mostly the recommended settings when stacking the photos.

I use the autosaved .fts file out of DSS not .tiff. DSS is a minefield of choices and steps and takes a little getting resolved to use correctly. Best to work through the DSS help file that is bundled with it first.

Here's a little screen print from part of the DSS Help file-

DSS Help Excerpt.docx

Cheers,
Steve

Try playing around with the histogram and curves tools in DSS. There are no proper instructions available so you have to experiment. Try aligning R, G and B histograms then making the curve have a relatively steep central section that is aligned with the histogram peaks.

There are more complex and better ways of doing it... but that should get you started.

The detail is in your stack, but I can't get it out of an 8-bit screen capture. The controls in DSS will be working on 32 bit data even if you save it as 16 bit, so you should be able to get a result like that below but without the ghastly posterisation.

image.png.52a84c2fd282e45473d64b4410b9ebc4.png

6 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Here is the help file from DSS 344, I hope it opens for you.

DeepSkyStacker Help.chm

Or avaialable here-

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/userguide.htm

Cheers,
Steve

The only problem with the DSS help is that it kind of falls apart when discussing the image controls:

" The simplest way to understand how the different parameters are working is to change them and look at the result on the histogram.. "

Just now, stonedunicorn said:

thats the final image from that stuck but i am a bit dissapointed i hoped for something better  will try stacking again with some different settings and hope for the best

ANDROMEDA2.jpg

Upload all the raw lights to dropbox and post the link, can I give it a try please? :)

5 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

Upload all the raw lights to dropbox and post the link, can I give it a try please? :)

dropbox has a limit to 2gb and all of them are around 3gb so i will upload them in google drive if that helps and if some can make something out of it would be great, but with my upload speed this will time some hours so stay tuned

1 hour ago, stonedunicorn said:

dropbox has a limit to 2gb and all of them are around 3gb so i will upload them in google drive if that helps and if some can make something out of it would be great, but with my upload speed this will time some hours so stay tuned

Its fine :)

(I think you probably need another 200 light frames to get much more). Forrest Tanaka took some 400 frames  same sort of lens and exposure length so you have revealed a lot with your 120 frames. You can do pretty much all the editing in the video using GIMP which is free.

link here

Edited by happy-kat

8 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

(I think you probably need another 200 light frames to get much more). Forrest Tanaka took some 400 frames  same sort of lens and exposure length so you have revealed a lot with your 120 frames. You can do pretty much all the editing in the video using GIMP which is free.

link here

yes we got similar results he did  move the luminance sliders at dss which i didnt so he got more exposure but if someone knows from dss maybe he can tell us if the luminance sliders would have made the stacked photos much better if i had adjusted them a  bit more?

29 minutes ago, stonedunicorn said:

Ok so this is the the tiff file feel free to edit it and upload the results on some cloud platform i am also uplloading all the raw files.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/92w5zn49tt8uvv8/ANDROMEDA.TIF?dl=0
Some info. This was shot on a a6000 with an old jupiter 200mm f4 on a tripod, manual tracked. 2/sec exposure 6400 iso 

Can you share the automatically generated Autosave.tiff file?

It should be in the same directory.

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Can you share the automatically generated Autosave.tiff file?

It should be in the same directory.

wow i just checked the autosave and its brighter compared to the outputed tif. But i think it doesnt contain the dark and biased frames. So there is definitely something with the outputed tif.
ttps://www.dropbox.com/s/ijagt9cxmzc9ere/Autosave.tif?dl=0