Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moving to Spain - Primary Phase

M44DSW

Hi All,

So some of you know I am new here and I am also moving my beloved equipment to Spain to be hosted with (I hope) Ian King. Today we (you are never alone in astronomy) started the move by removing the equipment from it's home observatory in the UK. The dome was built in 2004 by myself, my good friend Bob, a chap called Brendan and some other helpers. The original Paramount ME I went in in 2008 replaced 5 years ago with the Paramount ME II (and an EQ6 in between).

This was how we started today.

IMT1 Upgrade

and then my friends turned up and we removed the Tak FS12" which was piggy backed on the 12" Officina Stellare RiDK.

Tak FS102 piggy backed on 12”

The we dismantled the many, many, many cables from the setup, then the 12" came off and finally the MEII as well. Leaving a vary bare pier.

Empty dome

The next stop for the equipment is a temporary dome (The IMT2 a sister of this observatory) where we (my many astronomy friends) will perform a dry fit of the existing kit, add to it some new equipment to allow the entire setup to be remotely controlled through SGPro before we then take it on a road trip down to Spain.

If you are interested in how I get on then follow my posts and I will keep you up to date with the travelling setup until it reaches its final observing space.

Happy days I have a empty dome (apart from us astronomers)

If anyone knows of any good insurance for equipment in remote observatories please let me know.

Thanks and Clear Skies.

Dave

57 minutes ago, Mick J said:

Looking forward to reading about this adventure, all the best with it, is that a double stacked bathroom cabinet on the back wall ?

Yep sure is ? you can’t beat a bit of cheap and redundant bathroom ware in your observatory to store eyepieces, adapters and alike

Well, yesterday we managed to dismantle the entire obsy and squeeze it all into a Luton van.

IMG_6133.thumb.JPG.3a04b007f26acfa9f658c258d1b9dda4.JPG

IMG_6149.thumb.JPG.1b96f59d7794917c689d339d42590cdb.JPG

IMG_6152.thumb.JPG.2138b712fa96f11fb34479c8f0a4167c.JPG

IMG_6157.thumb.JPG.e62497fc6f0225b2d3157d4fa77783e1.JPG

IMG_6175.thumb.JPG.626a457ae305d2dd3730ba9b664f51d4.JPG

It's going into temporary storage until next spring probably, then I have to rebuild it and get it working.

Thanks Dave and friends for their hard work yesterday, it was all done as planned!

I'll start a new thread when the time comes to document the build as it progresses.

Archived