Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Star Discovery Azimuth Slop

bendiddley

Following on from my last post, there is another issue I need to sort out and that is a bit of play/slop in the azimuth axis. When I go to rotate the axis by hand, there is a slight bit of play before it engages and starts rotating properly, if you only slightly move it you can wobble it back and forth, once it engages and starts rotating properly it feels fine, you only feel it again until you turn it in the opposite direction. I've taken the cover off and had a look inside but I'm unsure of anything inside that might fix it. I tried untightening and re tightening a few screws but it didn't do anything. See photos below which show the innards, maybe someone can offer some advice on which parts to tweak? I am also wondering if this is a common condition of these types of alt-az mounts? Anyone had any experience of this sort of thing or have any ideas?

IMG_7027.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG

IMG_7029.JPG

IMG_7030.JPG

I have a similar concern - there seems to be little resistance to manual pressure on the Az axis, it's as if the 'clutch' needs tightening and I was considering an exploratory disassembly myself to see if there is any kind of adjustment available.  It's a pity, because in many respects the Star Discovery is the perfect answer for grab'n'go use at outreach events, but with 'little hands' tending to grab hold of eyepieces, or inexperienced observers bumping into them, the ease with which the mount can be moved off target is a little irritating.  I can't help but think it was a mistake not to have a manual clutch on both axes as with the AZ-GTi. 

Anyhow, I've just found another thread with some interesting detailed methods for adjusting the (two!) Az clutches.  Not sure that I fully grasp the engineering involved, but it will certainly set me off in the right direction (no pun intended) and would appear to answer the 'slop' issue too.

4 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I think a member stripped theirs down a did a detailed post with pictures, that might be of use. If you haven't found it by the time I'm on the pc much later on I'll look for it.

Thanks. I'll have look.

Archived