Cygnus Widefield

smr

Hi,

Taken a few nights ago, this was directly above so my DSLR pointed about as vertically as it could be on my Star Adventurer mount. 

2 hours of exposure at ISO 200 x 120 seconds.
Canon 80D unmodded
Canon EFS 1.8 50mm lens @ f/4

Cygnus-widefield-1024.thumb.jpg.85f8ee59802067d8db351a11504b8800.jpg

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Nice shot. I think you got a grsdient, which will be hard to remove.

Thanks, my gradient exterminator trial ran out as well! I will be purchasing though. But in this particular image I cannot see where the gradient is, my lack of knowledge I suppose.

57 minutes ago, peter shah said:

now thats a lot of stars.... great capture

Thank you. I am quite very pleased with it, and quite impressed with the Canon 50mm f/1.8. I put off using it really and shouldn't have, this is the first time I've used the lens for astrophotography and I really like the wide fov and it's light gathering ability. Not bad for £100.

With regards to the image I really had to stretch the data and nebulosity etc. out - I spent a few nights thinking I hadn't got anything and then had another go at processing and really stretched it, loads of nebulosity started showing then.

7 hours ago, smr said:

Thank you. I am quite very pleased with it, and quite impressed with the Canon 50mm f/1.8. I put off using it really and shouldn't have, this is the first time I've used the lens for astrophotography and I really like the wide fov and it's light gathering ability. Not bad for £100.

With regards to the image I really had to stretch the data and nebulosity etc. out - I spent a few nights thinking I hadn't got anything and then had another go at processing and really stretched it, loads of nebulosity started showing then.

I almost bought the legendary Canon nifty 50, the only thing that stopped me was its aperture control which is purely electronic so i wasn't able to fit it to my starlight Xpress and have full control, so I went for the Nikon equivalent which I have to say is pretty good too.  There is a lot to be said for these simple set ups. I always remember @ollypenrice captured the most spectacular shot of the Orion region  with one. I know he has unnatural super powers when it comes down to imaging but it really demonstrated what could be achieved.

43 minutes ago, peter shah said:

I almost bought the legendary Canon nifty 50, the only thing that stopped me was its aperture control which is purely electronic so i wasn't able to fit it to my starlight Xpress and have full control, so I went for the Nikon equivalent which I have to say is pretty good too.  There is a lot to be said for these simple set ups. I always remember @ollypenrice captured the most spectacular shot of the Orion region  with one. I know he has unnatural super powers when it comes down to imaging but it really demonstrated what could be achieved.

You're too kind, Peter, but the setup I used on the original Orion was actually a Samyang 85 with Atik 4000 CCD. So it needed six panels. There is a great Nifty Fifty Orion by Stéphane Guisard and Robert Gendler, though.

http://sguisard.astrosurf.com/Pagim/Orion_constellation-HRVB-50mm.html

smr, I think your image is great. It's very rare that I say this but I do think the black point could come in a bit. (I think many people bring it in too far.) Another tweak you might try, if you have Phoptoshop, is going to Image-Adjust-Selective Colour and, in the reds, lowering the cyans by moving the top slider left. This has a miraculous effect on Ha signal from RGB images.

Olly

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You're too kind, Peter, but the setup I used on the original Orion was actually a Samyang 85 with Atik 4000 CCD. So it needed six panels. There is a great Nifty Fifty Orion by Stéphane Guisard and Robert Gendler, though.

smr, I think your image is great. It's very rare that I say this but I do think the black point could come in a bit. (I think many people bring it in too far.) Another tweak you might try, if you have Phoptoshop, is going to Image-Adjust-Selective Colour and, in the reds, lowering the cyans by moving the top slider left. This has a miraculous effect on Ha signal from RGB images.

Olly

I'm getting old now Olly my memory isn't what it used to be. ? all I remember was an awesome image not sure why then i had a 50mm in my mind

21 hours ago, smr said:

Thanks, my gradient exterminator trial ran out as well! I will be purchasing though. But in this particular image I cannot see where the gradient is, my lack of knowledge I suppose.

The top part of your image is  lighter than the bottom. I took the liberty of downloading your image and applied DBE (Dynamic Background Extraction, a PixInsight tool).

Then I aligned the R. G, and B histograms. Here's what I got (also rotated the image 180 degrees to get a more familiar framing).

Cygnus-widefield-1024_r.thumb.jpg.dd387818ac461ae0c5179507dd2d1e60.jpg

(click on image for the larger version)

On 22/09/2018 at 08:15, ollypenrice said:

Olly

Thanks Olly. I had a quick further edit and I did try bringing the black point in a bit. The tip about the selective colour I'd actually read from you on another thread and applied it to this image, but I realise I can utilise that again, will have another go at editing the image properly soon.  (Thanks for the tip! It is a really good one)

On 22/09/2018 at 08:27, Demonperformer said:

Agree with previous posters. That is a great image through a great lens.

Thanks very much. Really is a great lens.

On 22/09/2018 at 21:59, wimvb said:

The top part of your image is  lighter than the bottom. I took the liberty of downloading your image and applied DBE (Dynamic Background Extraction, a PixInsight tool).

Then I aligned the R. G, and B histograms. Here's what I got (also rotated the image 180 degrees to get a more familiar framing).

Cygnus-widefield-1024_r.thumb.jpg.dd387818ac461ae0c5179507dd2d1e60.jpg

(click on image for the larger version)

Superb wim, think this looks a bit more natural than my processing. Very nice. Is there a quick tip to keeping the outer fields dark but the nebulosity red still? (I use Photoshop, Pixinsight looks a bit too complicated for me at the moment)

Archived