NGC 6823 HaSHO with rgbish stars

Rodd

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600 with 3um Astrodon filters.  Still not decent at full resolution, but not bad for regular viewing.  Not sure its a data quantity issue (I tend to think its not).  EDIT--I think its the number of stars.  Even reduced they are still visible--a bit distracting.  

Ha: 142 5mi

OIII: 90 5min

SII: 82 5min

16.thumb.jpg.048f279fcc90c7340465c8e5a278f94d.jpg

17 minutes ago, carastro said:

Very nice Rodd, this one is on my To Do list.

Not seen such a large FOV of it, nice to see it in context.

Carole 

Thanks Carole.  I did this with a more restrictive FOV (longer FL) and I think I prefer the widefield for this target.  Though its faint and there are so many stars

Rodd

4 hours ago, carastro said:

The advantage of Astrodon filters, as you would never know.

Carole

I use Baader too--though its been awhile.  They are in my STT-8300, which I think I will reserve usage for the C11Edge.  I don't think I will bother changing them out--though I do remember seeing a pretty big difference when I first got them, so who knows.  As long as I  change out the scope and camera I guess its not too much more of an inconvenience to change the filters.  Without more clear sky time though, I am hesitant to make any changes.  I can't afford to lose any imaging time.

Rodd

32 minutes ago, Filroden said:

That’s so nice. You’ve got it framed really well, with the eye drawn right into it. I especially like your rgbish stars.

Thanks Ken.  The star color was a happy accident resulting from using 50% OIII and 50% Ha for the green channel in an HOO image.  So I tried making an HOO (already had one for this) and replacing teh stars in the HaSHO image.  Seemed to work

Rodd

I came to my senses.  I think, as others have said, some of the problems with my images are due to me pushing the data too far.  The above images have chromatic mottling and other things that can't really be seen at normal viewing--but upon zoom they become very clear.  I reprocessed this image with the goal of not pushing the data too far--and I I used only 1 tiny saturation boost at the end.  I also desaturated the stars a bit as they ere too much.  Its paler, not as colorful, but I think a more realistic and stronger image.  If I want to render it to the levels of the earlier versions--I need either more aperture, darker skies, and/or more data.

Image20d.thumb.jpg.8d01a78b6293fb8e4bbd1728d7f6f3a2.jpg

Archived