Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PPEC and EQMOD

AlistairW

Hello,

Got myself a EQ6r this week, and have been reading the manual. However, what do I need to know to enable PPEC. In the most recent versions of EQMOD I see there are two selection boxes "Record PPEC" and "Enable PPEC". I am after a guide on how I can use those I think.

Thanks

Alistair

I'm going to respond here although I have no clue about the topic :D, so take anything that I say as less than reliable. I'm just guessing and reasoning what might be the procedure.

I think that those two buttons serve same purpose as commands found on your SyncScan hand set - so you can look up in handset manual how is PPEC recording and playback performed.

It's probably as simple as - fire up guiding program that will issue pulse guide correction via EQMod - usually that will be PHD2 or similar. Do usual things when you are preparing for guide - select guide exposure, do calibration, etc ... Start guiding and hit Record PPEC. Then wait certain amount of time (manual will probably say how much time, my guess is at least half an hour or something like that, but it might be as low as single worm revolution and that should be 479s for EQ6 class if I'm not mistaken). Hit stop recording PPEC (it should probably appear when you start recording in its place, button will just change the name). When you have your PPEC recorded and stored in mount firmware, after that, whenever you want to use the feature just hit Enable PPEC. It might be that you need to only enable it once and it will be in "enabled" state until you disable it even if you power off and disconnect your mount.

You'll find more info on the EQMod yahoo group, but from there:

AutoPec is an EQMOD feature. PPEC is a mount controller function provided on more recent mounts. With AutoPec, EQMOD records the people data and created a a Pec file that is stored on your PC. With PPEC the motor controller records and generates corrections that are stored in the mount itself. EQMOD provides the ability to initiate PPEC recording and playback but has no control over the corrections made.

As you have previously referred to PPEC rather than AutoPec that is what I assumed you were using.

If using AutoPec you need to record for at least three full cycles. Don't attempt to cut the process short.

No idea how pempro works nowadays but in the past it was just a front end to download a Pec curve to EQMOD which would then process it and apply the corrections so not much different from using AutoPec. If you have it already, I guess it does no harm to give it a go to see how it does. AutoPec should be sufficient for most though.

Chris (Shillito)

Archived