Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storing outside

I am thinking of letting my HEQ5 Pro mount stand outside throughout the winter. It has been outside since may already and it does not complain much. I have one of those large hoods used to protect those large, expensive gas BBQs over it.

Im not 100% sure that I will take the chance. How would it cope with -10 degrees celcus? (below freezing point)? It must of course operate under these conditions as I will use it in loong sessions this winter. But permanent storage? The only trouble that comes to mind is humidity....

What do you think? Would you take it inside?

I haven't had any problems with either of my mounts (previously HEQ5, now EQ6) outside. We've had crazy gale force winds here yesterday. I got very anxious that my set-up was goign to topple over, what with the extra surface area afforded by the cover. It's all good - it stood the storm no problem.

It hasn't actually seen a proper winter yet, but I can't imagine there will be a problem provided it's kept well covered.

But then again I am using a very fancy cover - TeleGizmo 365...

Andrew

Hi everyone :)

I've been a bit reluctant to leave my HEQ5Pro outside on my pillar with it being nice and shiney and quite expensive, but reading that it should be alright outside i'm now having second thoughts as it is quite a pain lugging it out everytime to set up.

What would be the best thing to cover the mount up with to protect it?

Dont forget, a picture says a thousand words, so get ya cameras out and give us some ideas :thumbright:

Cheers

Greenkat

Its ET in a plastic mac.

Mike

Very funny Mike :):):D :D :(

Now you mention it :lol:

I watched a video of Damien Peach who left his scopes outside as they are just tools and doing that meant the cooldown time was zero.

Umm, I guess he's gonna be around most of the time and security will be pretty good ! I don't mind the mount but draw the line at the scopes-much easier to remove !

Karlo

This is great guys. I feel a lot better now. Thank you so much for the user stories :)

The upside of leaving it outside is just so great. I'll post some pics of my setup later; I have now done a small trick and have access to most of the southern sky. (read; on top of garage!).... I hope my neighbours won't complain. Maybe I'll drop them a line the mailbox with the heart nebula on it just in case....

It's a case of just doing what you can. Unless Bertie Burglar has the correct size spanner on him and is prepared to take the time and risk, then I feel pretty confident about leaving the mount out there (bearing in mind the shear weight of it all)-scopes however -NO WAY !! :nono:

:) Karlo

I have now put my mount on top of the garage (!) and climb a ladder (or out of a window) to get "into" my new observatory. 360 vision(!) I spend last night polar aligning with WCS and the forecast says all clear 'til 03:00. My "rooftop observatory" will hopefully get firs light this evning .-)

For my newtonian I'm going to get myself one of those big boxes to store pillows and such for outside furniture .-)

Archived