NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help me make the right choice!

I think from the advice i have had so far ive managed to pick out a few telescopes that are in my price range. which out of these do you guys think i should go for?

celestron astromaster 130eq

http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?name=Celestron%20AstroMaster%20130%20EQ%20Telescope%20with%20Software&prod_code=PON07B000014

or the

skywatcher explorer-130

http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?name=Skywatcher%20EXPLORER-130%20Telescope%20Package&prod_code=PON07B000058

or the

Bresser pluto 4.5" reflector

http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?name=Bresser%20Pluto%204.5%22%20Reflector%20Telescope&prod_code=PON05L000005

or none of these? cheers people!

Hi,

Out of those three I would go for the Skywatcher 130 but I might try and find the extra £'s to get the motorised version (the 130PM) as that will help observing a great deal.

The Skywatcher has tried and tested optics and a decent mount - a number of people in SGL use these and are happy with them.

John

Is this going to be your first ever telescope Ottoman?

I'm not sure you will find the scope easy to use on the EQ2 mount. I would ask around and see if there is anyone who will give you an opinion before you commit any money to this one.

I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm, but I don't want to see you spend good money on something that might do that anyway. Just me being cautious. Ask around, as I may be out of line here.

Ron.

I will attempt to answer for him, but If I'm wrong he will correct me.

The f number denotes the focal ratio of the telescope. The one you are bidding on, is f6.9, or near enough f7. If you multiply the f number by the diameter of the mirror, it gives you the focal length of the system in your case. 900 millimetres. The f5 Tiny is referring to, would make the focal length 650 millimetres. The lower the f number, the wider the field of view you get for a given eyepiece. By the same token, the higher the f number, the narrower the field of view for the same eyepiece. The f number also has a direct link to magnification. If the focal length is 900 millimetres, and your eyepiece is 10 millimetres that will give a magnification of 90x.

The 650 millimetre focal length with the same 10 mm eyepiece, will give a mag. of 65x.

The ratio then, will also determine the length of the scope tube. So, Tiny believes the f5 scope will suit the EQ2 mount better. I agree with that opinion too.

If you are a bit bemused by what I say here, just say so, and I will try to explain it a bit better.

Ron.

The Skywatcher on ebay is a good scope and currently at a good price. I've been watching it, but it's gone above what I wanted spend.

The mount is perfectly adequate for the focal length of scope, so don't worry about that. Alos, don't worry about instructions as you can download these from the Skywatcher website.

I'd say go for it!

If you are starting out I assume you have no kit. If you buy a new scope from a dealer like FLO you get a scope with all the kit you need (eyepieces, barlows etc.) to simply set the scope up and start using it. It also means that the stuff you get will work and if it doesn't they will replace it. This method might cost more than what you can get on eBay but there, if you don't know the product, they can sell you junk and you would not know the difference.

On the other hand buying (say) a skywatcher 130 - either with an equatorial mount or supertrac from a dealer will get the scope to you rapidly allowing you to set up and be out observing soon after.

I will attempt to answer for him, but If I'm wrong he will correct me.

The f number denotes the focal ratio of the telescope. The one you are bidding on, is f6.9, or near enough f7. If you multiply the f number by the diameter of the mirror, it gives you the focal length of the system in your case. 900 millimetres. The f5 Tiny is referring to, would make the focal length 650 millimetres. The lower the f number, the wider the field of view you get for a given eyepiece. By the same token, the higher the f number, the narrower the field of view for the same eyepiece. The f number also has a direct link to magnification. If the focal length is 900 millimetres, and your eyepiece is 10 millimetres that will give a magnification of 90x.

The 650 millimetre focal length with the same 10 mm eyepiece, will give a mag. of 65x.

The ratio then, will also determine the length of the scope tube. So, Tiny believes the f5 scope will suit the EQ2 mount better. I agree with that opinion too.

If you are a bit bemused by what I say here, just say so, and I will try to explain it a bit better.

Ron.

Thanks Ron - I wasn't around but you explained it better than I would anyway! Tiny

hmmm, most people have said to me get the 650 as its better for a beginner, ive been outbid and now unsure. hmmmm

I Think im going to buy the 650 due to collective opinion, and because its a new scope i wont have any worries about broken bits etc.

Cheers for your input the thing ( i love that film!)

The 130PM ( 650 ) is a great bit of kit. If you had the cash I might incline to go for the Ky-Watcher 150 on the EQ3-2 mount but if not the 130PM on the EQ2 will be good. It must be the worlds No1 beginner scope judging from how many people seem to start with them.

Archived