Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sadr region

Casus belli

I took this on my last night at home before starting a months trip in the north sea. It was one of those nights.  I set up on M33 and I manage 2 subs before cloud covers it.  It looked as if it was there to stay so I thought I'd give the Sadr region a try.  Of course as soon as I set up on Sadr M33 cleared but hey ho.  I also wanted to try out some widefield shots on my star adventurer mount, samyang 14mm lens and new astro modded canon 6d before the moon rose.  Theres a reasonably dark site about 300 meters away from where I live so I grabbed my gear, headed down the road and got set up.  As soon as I do some low cloud came scudding in.  I waited half an hour then gave up.  Dragged everything back up the road and checked on my scope.  Dumped an hours worth of subs but low and behold the sky is now clear.  Dragged star adventurer back down the road, got set up and screamed as more low cloud arrived.  I gave it another 30 minutes, gave up and headed back home.  By now I was worn out, so I switched of the camera on my scope and made myself a cup of tea.  Plan was to have that, put my gear away and have a reasonably early night.  However when I came back out again it had cleared up but my laptop was blank.  Ooops, hadn't plugged it in.  Started imaging again.  By this time I have 5 usable subs and its 2 am.  Should I carry on?  Fool that I am the answer has to be yes.  Dragged the star adventurer back down the road and set up under a 70% moon but no clouds.  Got my shots. 30 x 60 seconds @ iso 2500.  Put the staradventurer and assorted gear away.   Looked at my scope data and decided that I didn't really need sleep before doing a 12 hour shift.  I imaged until dawn finally told me enough was enough.  They say perseverance pays.  I have to agree.

35 x 300 seconds @ iso 800.  Darks bias and flats  Canon 700d astromodded on Skywatcher ed80.  Heq5pro mount belt drive mod.  Guided using lodestar x2 and phd guiding.  Dss and photoshop for stacking and processing

sadr.jpg

last night 14mm rgb.jpg

Archived