Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wireless IP night vision camera. Can it be used facing the telescope?

Hello,

I am just looking for advice on whether it would be OK to use wireless IP camera to keep an eye on the scope when its in the garden. I would like to remotely connect to the laptop in the garden and also keep an eye on the scope itself.

I am just a little unsure if the night vision LED's will have any affect on the telescope if its pointed at it? Would it influence any exposures.

Thanks

Ross

615llmslWIL._SX425_.jpg.cf0e3e55b0bf3ab65018a07dd10557dd.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ieGeek-Surveillance-Security-Recording-Recognition/dp/B01I1A2RZ6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536001453&sr=8-3&keywords=ip+camera+wireless

Most of these cameras have the functionality to allow night vision  - the IR LEDs  - to be turned off.  It may well be worth checking if this model allows its night vision to be selected off.

Jim 

I doubt you would have any problems. Just to be sure............point the IR camera at the EP end of the imaging rig rather than the objective end. Even better mount the Camera off to the side somewhere and it wont be shining on any of the telescopes lenses, but you can still see your scope.

Yes, as Saac says, get one which you can turn the LED off.  It does make a difference, I was in the same position with the same question a while ago, so I tested it.

I use two of these and they work great and you can turn the IR lights and the control LED off in software.

Thank you all for the replies.

I have just been reading some of the reviews on the camera I linked in the original post and a couple of people have stated that if the camera is placed in front of a window the sensor picks up reflections from the glass.

I would ideally like to place the camera inside so with being said if I brought a camera that enables me to switch off the LED's would its till work OK at night? 

Yes it should allow you track and confirm the safe position of your mount/telescope. Obviously with night vision turned off the image will be dimmer but it should sufficient especially if you have any other low light on in the observatory.  I use a similar camera for exactly the same purpose.  I only have the night vision on when I'm making a significant change in position of the mount - once it has settled and I'm ready to image then the  night vision is turned off because I don't need to monitor the mount's position anymore.    I don't think you will have any problems with what you are proposing, mine works really well - the feed goes to a small tablet so it doesn't add to any processing load on the imaging computer. 

Jim 

Archived