Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help - Pegasus UPB Focusser Set Up

Hi,

I am trying to set up motor focus for the first time and I could use some help. I have a Pegasus Ultimate Power Box and the Pegasus focus motor. This is attached to my scope and the mechanical / electrical side of things is working well. In fact I thought I had a real problem because the motor is so quiet I couldn't tell if it was working. Turns out it was working just fine. 

But - having watched RayD's excellent Simplified Astro video about setting up the travel limits, step size, etc. I can't work out how to do this using the Pegasus control panel. So if anyone has managed this I would be very grateful to know how you did it?

Regards, Hugh

28 minutes ago, hughgilhespie said:

Hi,

I am trying to set up motor focus for the first time and I could use some help. I have a Pegasus Ultimate Power Box and the Pegasus focus motor. This is attached to my scope and the mechanical / electrical side of things is working well. In fact I thought I had a real problem because the motor is so quiet I couldn't tell if it was working. Turns out it was working just fine. 

But - having watched RayD's excellent Simplified Astro video about setting up the travel limits, step size, etc. I can't work out how to do this using the Pegasus control panel. So if anyone has managed this I would be very grateful to know how you did it?

Regards, Hugh

Hi Hugh.  I know it is of no use to you today, but having posted the UPB opening video Saturday, the second video going through the UPB software will be going on tomorrow.  If you want to PM me your email address I can send you a short edited clip going over just this element.

Hi Ray,

That's good news. Your videos are really helpful and I look forward to watching UPB Part II. I am not in that desperate a hurry as I can't test the motor focusser set up until I receive the PreciseParts adapter I have ordered. It is supposed to ship from the USA on Wednesday and I guess it will be a few days to get here and then faff about paying the VAT.

Just out of interest, I had an online chat with Pegasus tonight and they are issuing a software update in the next few days and also promising a video to go with it. The software update should allow for setting the focusser travel limits at both ends of the travel, in and out. At present apparently it only sets the 'out' limit.  

Thanks again for your response.

Regards, Hugh

24 minutes ago, hughgilhespie said:

Hi Ray,

That's good news. Your videos are really helpful and I look forward to watching UPB Part II. I am not in that desperate a hurry as I can't test the motor focusser set up until I receive the PreciseParts adapter I have ordered. It is supposed to ship from the USA on Wednesday and I guess it will be a few days to get here and then faff about paying the VAT.

Just out of interest, I had an online chat with Pegasus tonight and they are issuing a software update in the next few days and also promising a video to go with it. The software update should allow for setting the focusser travel limits at both ends of the travel, in and out. At present apparently it only sets the 'out' limit.  

Thanks again for your response.

Regards, Hugh

No problem at all Hugh, it should be up tomorrow anyway.  

Yes I have asked for a couple of changes which Evans is putting in the next version also.  As I mention in my video, Pegasus (Evans especially) really are very good at listening and do make the changes very quickly if they are going to make improvements. 

He is right in that there is only one actual limit (out) but you can set the zero point which then acts as a virtual limit, but it is a bit too easy to overwrite it with just a single click.  In reality if you are using SGP, then the control is pretty much done via that using the ASCOM driver, so you don't really do much via the UPB.  I don't really use mine at all for focus control, but it is in a fixed observatory so the focus position doesn't change much.

There is no actual calibration routine, say like you would have with the Lakeside, but you can change the speed and setpoints for steps (for you with the Pegasus motor focus leave this at the default 400).

I have high hopes for the new software as there are a number of great improvements.

Good luck with the adaptor.  Mine arrived last week having spent 10 days in customs before I got the bill to release it for delivery.

Not sure what scope you are using but I found that for my 127mm apo, I wound it all the way in and set the zero point, and all the way out was ~32000 steps - didn't take too long to get there, but for my C11 SCT, I initially wound the focusser all way in by hand, attached focus motor and set zero - but when winding focus out it got to well over 500000 steps and was still going!. Eventually, I gave up, disconnected motor, set approx. focus by hand, attached motor, wound it in ~50000 steps and set that as notional zero. Even so, with my setup some of the focus points, depending on the configuraton are still anywhere between 85000 and 250000 steps from notional zero!

Like Ray, I have found Evans very helpful, the new software update will allow profiles to be setup so you can change it according to what OTA/Camera you are using.

For focusing I have set my zero position and a max out of my max focusing position + 5000, but will find the new changes a big improvement.

The new version still doesn't have an inner limit.  Like others, I set 0 at the point of the draw tube being just short of fully closed, drive out and then set that value as the limit point.  I have asked Evans to make the 0 point an actual inner limit if the check box is ticked (rather than having to stop there yourself) only overriding this to a negative value if you uncheck the limit box (your own fault then if you drive in to the stop).

The new version doesn't actually have profiles as such, but it allows you to run 2 versions with different names, so you can select which one to use.  Bit crude and not ideal for multiple outfits, but I think it can be improved on for sure.

I have fed back some information to Evans this morning, and he is usually really good at making changes, so if you find issues, save them up in to a single email, with bullet points, as it is sometimes quite difficult to relay exactly what you want in writing.

Have a look at the new version, John, it's out now, and you'll see what I mean about the profiles.

Hi Ray,

I will do but currently away this weekend thanks, camping whilst working during the day ?

Evans said that the intention was that when switching on there would be a choice of selecting one of three profiles.

I’m not sure how it will work as now have three  UPB’s, so will download and have a play next week, i’ll let you know how I get on.

Are you going to run two, one in Spain and one at home?

10 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Ray,

I will do but currently away this weekend thanks, camping whilst working during the day ?

Evans said that the intention was that when switching on there would be a choice of selecting one of three profiles.

I’m not sure how it will work as now have three  UPB’s, so will download and have a play next week, i’ll let you know how I get on.

Are you going to run two, one in Spain and one at home?

Nice, John, enjoy.  I'm in Spain at the minute and it's been chucking it down since getting here and looks like not letting up at all for the duration.  Have tons to do around the house so not a wasted visit, but naturally disappointing.

No it isn't a case of selecting profiles.  You make another instance and access that by another shortcut, so you basically set up 2 instances and start whichever one you need.  Both mine are permanently mounted so I won't be using it, but I can see this being ideal if you have a travel setup meaning you can take it off and use it, but I can see it being of limited use.

UPB1.JPG.b01ad0f7ebf99d3ead0c2eebbbbcd3d2.JPG

Enjoy your trip.

Ps CEM120 EC Advanced inbound :thumbright:

Thanks Ray, the camping wasn't pleasure it was needs as we had our trade stand on the show field and didn't want anything nicked!

I'll have a play with that tomorrow, I imagine you might even be able to make multiple instances then and just rename them?

PS You let that one slip in...you have the 120 then...first thoughts?

Archived