NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

mono guide camera for st80 suggestions

iwols

Hi after another hit and miss session with my qhy5ii l guide camera in a st80 ive decided to change the camera,was looking at the asi 120 but the usb 2. Version is no longer available can anyone suggest something similar cheers

You can use one of the USB 3 versions for guiding over a USB 2 connection, you just won't get the high frame rates when using it in video mode for planetary.

I'm currently using the ASI 290MM on USB2 with a mini-guide scope as an alternative to an SX Lodestar on my OAG where I sometimes struggle to get a suitable guide star in the small FOV of the OAG.

1 hour ago, iwols said:

Hi after another hit and miss session with my qhy5ii l guide camera in a st80 ive decided to change the camera,was looking at the asi 120 but the usb 2. Version is no longer available can anyone suggest something similar cheers

I'm currently using the 120 mono on my ST80 and it works a treat, same usb configuration too. Having absolutely no issues with it. For my money, I'd definitely recommend it

I recently replaced my (broken) QHY5Lii mono guide cam with an ASI 120 mini.   Performance wise they seem pretty similar, although the USB connector (which is what failed on the QHY) seems better on the ASI.  

Apart from that USB connector, never had any probs with the QHY, it just worked and the same with the ASI.

Archived