Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Dome to be on order any day now

Hello All,

Hope that a dome is thought of as "equipment".  I've never had one before and have a few questions if anyone has some time.

I'm going to be purchasing a dome from Pulsar including the dome rotation, pier, pier adapter for my NEQ6 etc. Decided that the powered shutter can be a later addition if I so needed it.  For the time being, I've a few small scopes to put on the NEQ6 like my 130PDS and 80mm refractor and a DSLR to take a few images like you do. In the fullnes of time, this will change to a larger scope. I'm also thinking of getting an additional pier head so I can mount my 8" 200LX if I fancy some viewing.

So questions:

• Anyone care to share their experience with Pulsar domes and Piers?
  • How did you work out where to bring power into the observatory? I'm looking at coming up through the concrete from the seperate warm room building I have available. I think I can work out where the power needs to be for the pier, but not sure for the dome rotator hardware.
  • I'm assuming that the pier needs to be dead center of the dome - is this correct?

Many thanks for any advise and assistance here

Mark

Few of my club guys have installed piers

They just used 150 mm PVC pip, and filled with concrete, with threaded rod protruding from top, to mount scope on

Adapted 3ft X 3ft garden shed, and modified roof to slide open, on supports

John

Just one thought from me. I've got an original 2.1m dome which was perfect for my fork mounted C11, both in alt-az and wedge mounted mode. I now have the C11 and a127mm apo mounted side by side on an EQ8. The problem being that I can still only use one scope for imaging at a time.- the imitation being due to the width of the slot. The geometry of the Eq8 with the side by side bar never allows both of the scopes to point through the slot at the same time.

Hi NG...

Thanks for the pointers - You've posted pictures of this beast here I think?  Useful advise there though.  My intention is to only have one or other running at the same time (NEQ6 rig or LX200)  depending on what I want to do. When I think about it for a bit, the LX200 is so simple to get going, I may just keep her tripod mounted and use it outside the dome when the other rig is taking images.  How do you find the APO as I'm also in the market for one of those as well.

Mark

Archived