NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder scope shoe for Altair Astro 72ED-R

Hello all!
Haven't posted for a very (very) long time ....
Just getting my gear ready for the season and wondered if anyone could help with this feature ....?
I have the Altair Astro 72ED-R and as I know when I bought it comes as is without any accessories - i.e. finder.
I wish to attach my red-dot finder to it and it does have grub screw holes for a finder shoe (see image) ..... so ...... I get there in the end .....

Does anyone know of the correct plate/shoe I need for this?

As always, thanks in advance .....

:)

LW-72ED-RP-side-view-FOCUSER-ADJUSTMENT-800w.jpg

You remove grub screw A on either the left or right hand side of the focuser in the image. One other issue may cause an problem as it did on my AA short ‘frac. The front rim of the focuser (where screws b and c sit) may get in the way of the finder base that you fit and not allow it to sit flush on the focuser. I fitted a Baader finder base to my scope, by had to file away quite a bit of the leading edge of the finderscope shoe to allow the base to sit correctly on the base.

27 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I got this base for my AA too after recommendation, but this would again not allow correct fitting to the mount without some modification (cutting/filling) to clear the front rim of the focuser ridge on the OTA. In the end I decided to use the Baader shoe (after diy modification to fit correctly), and fitted underneath a small bit of foam to protect the focuser tube from been scratched in any way. Fully screwed in this has not caused an issue for me. 

9 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

I got this base for my AA too after recommendation, but this would again not allow correct fitting to the mount without some modification (cutting/filling) to clear the front rim of the focuser ridge on the OTA. In the end I decided to use the Baader shoe (after diy modification to fit correctly), and fitted underneath a small bit of foam to protect the focuser tube from been scratched in any way. Fully screwed in this has not caused an issue for me. 

Thanks for quick reply. Much appreciated.

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Believe the genuine WO base has three screw holes in it which means you can  use an end one to get more clearance. 

Of course you could also drill a new mounting hole in the Opticstar one.

The Opticstar base only has one screw hole right in the centre. I guess with a steady hand, and a good drill you might be able to drill a new hole to move it forward enough to overcome the position of the ridge. 

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

The Opticstar base only has one screw hole right in the centre. I guess with a steady hand, and a good drill you might be able to drill a new hole to move it forward enough to overcome the position of the ridge. 

Use a drill press and it makes the job easy and you’ll need a countersink bit. Hopefully a friend or neighbour will have a drill press.

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Oh! Forgot to mention, but depend on which red dot finder you are using it may not fit onto this base anyway. All the lower price ones don’t fit by a country mile! 

OK guys .... so .... the part you recommended arrived very quickly from Optic Star.
At first glance I thought no way is that gunna fit without a mod.
Then I checked my scope's parts to the diagram I posted, and here I found the answer.
On the other side  (not shown in this view) is another grub screw for this type of finder shoe.
I simply undid the screw and screwed in the finder shoe. I did have to remove a part at the bottom of my finder to get it to fit onto the new finder pole, but that was a small fix.
I attach a few images below in case someone else has the same question.

Thanks again for the help and link - clear skies!

IMG_20180824_202821.jpg

IMG_20180824_202957.jpg

IMG_20180824_204659.jpg

I think your focuser is the same as mine, and if so it allows the focuser to rotate 360 degress. I too had thought of attaching the finder base in one orpf these screw holes. The only reason I never utilised it was as I use it on a couple of different mounts I need to be able to rotate the focuser to work on each mount and have the finder scope in the correct position, so fixing the finder into one of those screws only works well  if you have the focuser locked down and in the same position all the. If that works for you then great! :) 

On 25/08/2018 at 19:34, Knighty2112 said:

I think your focuser is the same as mine, and if so it allows the focuser to rotate 360 degress. I too had thought of attaching the finder base in one orpf these screw holes. The only reason I never utilised it was as I use it on a couple of different mounts I need to be able to rotate the focuser to work on each mount and have the finder scope in the correct position, so fixing the finder into one of those screws only works well  if you have the focuser locked down and in the same position all the. If that works for you then great! :) 

Thanks Gus. :)

Out of interest here’s where I positioned my finder which will also rotate along with the focuser. The curvature of the shoe doesn’t match the curvature of the focuser, but hasn’t created a problem at all as it’s screwed in nicely, and got thin layer of foam padding to secure it down too.

25FCF4A0-F4E9-4EAF-B678-1B320158C7F8.thumb.jpeg.1254a08c3d97a3d419e53995ba0917ba.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Out of interest here’s where I positioned my finder which will also rotate along with the focuser. The curvature of the shoe doesn’t match the curvature of the focuser, but hasn’t created a problem at all as it’s screwed in nicely, and got thin layer of foam padding to secure it down too.

25FCF4A0-F4E9-4EAF-B678-1B320158C7F8.thumb.jpeg.1254a08c3d97a3d419e53995ba0917ba.jpeg

Ah.... I see what you've done - a very nice mod there.
I have only mounted my finder to help with polar alignment and then subsequent 2/3 star alignment, so shouldn't be too much of a problem here.
Thanks again Gus. All the best.

For my AT 72ED, I mounted a Rigel QuikFinder shoe where rockinrome put his, but then the finder's tabs wouldn't go into the slots due to lack of clearance, so I put four silicone bumper dots at the corners of the base to jack it up enough for the QuikFinder's tabs to slot into the base.  The only problem is the OTA won't fit back into the custom fitted case it came with once the finder shoe is mounted, so I remove and reattach it each time I use it.  I have to wiggle it a bit in rotation to get it pointed straight ahead each time.  I rarely use it now since I went with a dual mount and keep the QF on the 127 Mak side of things since it has a permanently mounted finder shoe for it.

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

For my AT 72ED, I mounted a Rigel QuikFinder shoe where rockinrome put his, but then the finder's tabs wouldn't go into the slots due to lack of clearance, so I put four silicone bumper dots at the corners of the base to jack it up enough for the QuikFinder's tabs to slot into the base.  The only problem is the OTA won't fit back into the custom fitted case it came with once the finder shoe is mounted, so I remove and reattach it each time I use it.  I have to wiggle it a bit in rotation to get it pointed straight ahead each time.  I rarely use it now since I went with a dual mount and keep the QF on the 127 Mak side of things since it has a permanently mounted finder shoe for it.

Thanks for the info Louis D!

:)

Archived