NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Power Bank questions

All,

I am checking out different jump starters and power banks.

Do I need to worry about cold temperatures in winter?  Do i need to look at specific ones that can handle them or can any jump starter handle 'european' mild winters?

I see a lot of power banks without cigarette lighter and just have USB's.  Are those any good?  If so, has anyone seen a cable that allows a HEQ-5 PRO with its specific power plug attach to a USB power bank?

Thx for any insights !

Edward

Just now, Edward Dewolf said:

damn, how did I not see that myself, off course USB will not do *facepalm*

What about temperature?

low temp will have an effect on the battery, worth doing a back of an envelope calc on what your power requirement will be for an average evening and what the power pack capacity is. you dont want to be fully discharging any battery too often. 

3 minutes ago, Edward Dewolf said:

The thing is that I do not know yet what  will have.  I am brand new to this, do not have a finderscope with camera yet, ...

What is a good number to go for and how much does temperature mess it all up?

Better to wait until you have compiled your list of that you'll be using, then work out what you'll need to power it. 

Just now, Edward Dewolf said:

mmmmm i wish i could .... but i was not planning to do photography yet, want to just observe first ? And I need would like to test the motors on the mount to make sure they were delivered working properly

where will you be observing? if at home then a 12v mains power supply is much better suited, if the occasional trip out just use the car 12v outlet to begin and upgrade to a powerpack at a later date. what mount are you going to get?

As said above the normal phone type battery banks output around 5.2 V however that is fine for my EQ3-2 mount which is designed to run off 6V instead of the normal 12V and I am also planning to power my Canon DSLR using one with an inline converter, they are useful for camera lens dew straps too.

There are some similar powerbanks that can output 9V and 12V too as well as the standard 5V.

Alan

5 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

where will you be observing? if at home then a 12v mains power supply is much better suited, if the occasional trip out just use the car 12v outlet to begin and upgrade to a powerpack at a later date. what mount are you going to get?

I w!ll be observing mainly about 20mins from where I live.  I have a HEQ-5 Pro ...; slowly building up my setup.  Want to get into astrophotography eventually

Long term it's worth investing in an 80ah leisure battery and building your own power box with all the sockets you may need plus a few spares, this can be built into a tool box with wheels for easy transport.

There are a few in the DIY astronomer section.

Dave

Archived