SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

OSC to suit RC10

Woody

Hello all

I mostly image with a RC10 and a QHY9 mono, either RGB or NB.

But sometimes I just want the simplicity of a OSC.  The RC10 and QHY9 yields a pixel scale of 0.553 so I wonder if I would notice much sensitivity loss in using a OSC.

Any thoughts on sensor/camera recommendations?

Thank you

Jeremy

Hi Woody

I was going to say Starlight Xpress SXVR-25MC But Steve beat me to it with his QHY8L Both I think have the same chip. 25MC has a good reputation and there is one on UK Astronomy Buy and Sell at the moment. (its not mine) I considered the 25MC for my RC10 but in the end I went for Mono.

Graham

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 21:55, Woody said:

Thank you.

Was looking at a QHY10 or 12 possibly.......

Not sure about the CMOS cameras, maybe the QHY 168C

Cheers

You want an APS-C sized sensor to make the most of the RC10's corrected field of view.  If you can afford it, definitely go for the QHY 168C or another camera with the IMX071 sensor e.g. ZWO ASI071.  It has low read noise and double the QE (quantum efficiency) of the QHY8, SXVR-25MC and QHY10.  Doubling the QE means halving your total imaging time. 

Unfortunately I don't have any comparison info for the QHY12 i.e. how its Sony ICX613 sensor compares to the Sony IMX071 or even how it compares to the QHY10.  QHY doesn't appear to publish QE data.

Mark

15 hours ago, Woody said:

Thank you Mark

The IMX071 sensor is looking pretty good at the moment, whether it be the ZWO or QHY version.

Cheers

Jeremy

It would be my choice, it's the modern choice over the older osc ccds. I would go with QHY in this case as ZWO have had no end of issues with the 071 while the 168 was reliable from the start. 

14 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I never found OSC simple. Sure, it was simple enough to capture, but processing it...

Maybe it was just me.

Olly

I purchased APP several months before I got my mono camera this year. I agree broadly with your statement, but wow APP made OSC processing so so much easier.

Archived