Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Perseids, and even more Perseids :)

On the night of the 12th to the 13th of August I have been observing the Perseid meteor shower from Steinborn in the Eifel, Germany. During the night I had two camera's running all night taking images of the sky to see if I would be able to catch some of the Perseids. This image was made using a Nikon D810a with a Nikon 14-24mm lens. I programmed the camera to take constantly 60s images of the sky using ISO1600. In the end I have caught about 40 Perseids, which I was very happy with. This image shows a single image from the series overlaid with all the Perseids that were captured during the session in their exactly right positions in the sky. This was quite easy to establish as I used a Skywatcher Star Adventurer to follow the stars during their motion along the sky, and as such the field of view showed the same star field all the time.

The brightest Perseid in the view showed a nice dust trail that was visible on images for over 20 minutes! An animation of this dissipating trail can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/twiapfdloEU

Very nicely also the radiant in Perseus can be seen in the image if you follow the tracks...

44011132282_098e34e64d_c.jpg

Perseid shower 2018 from the Eifel, Germany by Andre van der Hoeven, on Flickr

30191690798_f2217ff310_c.jpg

Perseid shower 2018 from the Eifel, Germany annotated version by Andre van der Hoeven, on Flickr

Archived