Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ATIK EFW2 : USB Problem. " Device not recognized"

Craney

Hello everybody.   Bit of a faint hope that somebody out there might be able to help.

Two nights ago, everything working fine.  Then....

Loaded the software for the Pegasus Ultimate Power Hub, which worked...... only to find that the PC now does not recognise the EFW2.  

The EFW2 powers up OK and revolves to find the initial slot position, it is just when you plug in the USB... that  depressing "De-Dunk" noise followed by the error message.

"USB Device Not Recognized"

My Atik 414ex camera seems to work just fine along side it.  

Been through the usual plugging-in , power-on sequencing type stuff..... no joy.

Have uninstalled / installed Pegasus and ATIK software,  even loaded a legacy edition to give it a try..  Still no luck.

(using Windows 7 enterprise on on oldish e-book type PC)

I'm not very computer savy.      It 'feels' to me that there is an initial driver problem before the ATIK software gets involved.

Any help or guidance much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sean.

Try the usual things like changing the USB leads first.

Then try plugging the FW into the PC with no other USB devices connected.

Try the FW on another PC and see if it is recognised.

It might be that youve exceeded the number of USB hubs allowed on the system. The Pegasus will have a USH hub inside it and that might have taken it over the USB bus limit (5 hubs in total, if I recall correctly. There'll be a hub on the PC motherboard, so it's easy to exceed this limit if you have multiple hubs).

You can clear all the USB ports under computer properties advanced settings, can't remember exactly so Google for full instructions then replug USB one at a time and try to plug them in the same socket every time.

Atik does seem prone to this as it's the only make I've had this problem with, mostly the Atik4000, either fails to connect or drops the connection, once dropped it won't reconnect without rebooting the computer.

Dave

@Davey-T      @Zakalwe     @drjolo

No success I'm afaid.

Tried 3 different USB leads, all of which work with the camera. Same error message.

Loaded ATIK software onto a PC which has never seen ATIK or ASCOM before.  Nope !  As soon as the USB cable goes in, it returns either the "not recognised"  or "driver failed to load successfully" message.

#### STOP PRESS #####

Upon taking the filters out,  resigned to go manual for tonight (if clear).... I noticed some play in the USB connector on the filter wheel, in fact  more play than I wuold have thought desirable.  Looks like the gold coloured USB housing has slightly broke free from the PCB, and a solder connection has been compromised.

I imagine this could cause a problem like the one I have encountered.   Any thoughts ??

IMG_7560.thumb.JPG.bf825e430ebe707e361241f3fc06f4d6.JPG

Thinking back, before putting the Pegasus on, I did have a wire snagging incident........ ( ironically one reason why I bought the Pegasus powerhub !! )

I wonder ??

Looks like a return to ATIK.   I hear they are good with customer service.

Oh-hum....

Sean.

Yes, considering the cost of this item,  you would expect a more secure arrangement.  

I suppose most of us have an entire washing line of USB cable draped around the scope because... err.. well, we have not quite got around to sorting it.

I don't have any equipment for soldering.....  and it does look rather delicate.   Me and my hooves might just worsen the situation !!!!

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys.   E-mail dispatched to ATIK -HQ.

Sean.

39 minutes ago, Craney said:

Looks like a return to ATIK.   I hear they are good with customer service.

Oh-hum....

I once broke USB socket in my Atik383 - it was repaired in almost no-time and price was very reasonable. 

Archived