Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moving..Dark Sky Recommendations. in North Yorkshire

I'm living in Bradford , West Yorkshire at the moment but for a number of reasons, major light pollution being one of them, I'm thinking of packing up and moving out to a semi rural retreat in North/East Yorkshire or the East Coast around Filey.

I'm  wanting to live in an area around these areas where I can just take the scope out in my back garden and not worry about a dreaded orange glow ruining my enjoyment of the heavens.

Does anyone live in these areas  or recommend  a village that has the dark skies I'm after?

In fact, any fellow members living anywhere in Yorkshire with recommendations of dark skies in their area

Many thanks.  

Tony

The darkest spots are in the Dales from my experience especially north of Hawes and around Buttertubs pass before Tan Hill.  I have driven out there occasionally and it is VERY dark.  The places I have tried in the Moors tend to be affected by the LP from Teeside but someone who lives there may know of some good spots.

I agree with the comments above,  you really need to be getting up to Keilder on the NE side to avoid the major urban areas.  Darlington is one which casts a large light cone in an otherwise dark area.    There are locally dark remote valleys in the Dales and over by the A66 as it crosses through the Pennines........

but they are remote, the 'local' supermarket is  an hours drive away.....  possibly think about a portable 'grab and go'  set up before going off the grid  !!!

Foxholes is pretty dark on a night, it's a small village between Driffield and Scarborough, plus your close to Staxton Hill which gives you a  dark sky between 100 to 200 metres high (even has a car park). Otherwise, pretty much any village between Whitby and Scarborough (obviously not too close to either) or in the Moors.

Really appreciating the replies guys. Thank you! :)

Yes, although remote sounds ideal,  realistically it need to be pretty close to amenities too. 

A village like Foxholes seems to be closest to what I need. Away from the glow but a short (ish) drive to the shops.

Can't wait to find one though. I'm trawling Rightmove every day looking for somewhere with a wide, open outlook at the back  but away from a big city

Archived