Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Transparent Plastics

russellhq

I'm wondering if all transparent plastics pass IR or if there's any to watch for. I'm planning a build and need to make a small sensor window. Something like perspex or polycarbonate would be ideal, but if it blocks IR then it's of no use ?

Thanks. The window will only about an inch. I'm now thinking that maybe a basic luminance filter would work?

Also, after a bit of googling, a piece of borosilicate would work if I can find a small piece for not much money.

You can probably get relatively small pieces of borosilicate glass from suppliers of parts for 3d printers as it's often used as a print bed and it shouldn't cost very much.  I'm inclined to think a photographic filter might be a whole lot less hassle though.

James

5 hours ago, JamesF said:

I'm inclined to think a photographic filter might be a whole lot less hassle though

My thought too. A normal uv filter for a camera lens should do the trick.

It's to protect a TSL2561 luminance sensor and a MLX90614 digital infrared thermometer as part of a sky monitoring station I'm trying to build. I've ordered the £2 UV filter from eBay, so hopefully that should do the job.

Archived