Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Narrow-band Images not looking right. Need help!

This is my first time shooting narrow-band, I have a Canon 450d astromodified with a Astronomik 12nm ha clip filter and a celestron 2in OIII filter. The Ha data looks ok but I know it can look better and the OIII data just looks terrible. There is only 2 hours and 25 minutes for both Ha and OIII. Is there just not enough data put into it?

Cropped.tif

CroppedOIII.tif

1 hour ago, ItsEricJones said:

There is only 2 hours and 25 minutes for both Ha and OIII. Is there just not enough data put into it?

When you say 2hr and 25 minutes.. is that total in subs, or is that how long you were exposing a single frame?

If this is the exposure time of a single frame than you basically over exposed the object. Try capturing 8 - 10 x 20 minute subs at the same settings and stack them... you'll find your NB data take on the right look.

OK, have taken a look at the data, I have never used narrowband filters with a DSLR, but the images look extremely noisy with both vertical and horizontal banding.  

It looks to me like this was done from a highly LP location.  I just looked up Lockport New York state on google maps and it certainly looks to be the case and not too far from Niagara with it mini Las Vegas type lighting (I've been there).

If you can I would try to get to a dark location.

Carole 

5 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

When you say 2hr and 25 minutes.. is that total in subs, or is that how long you were exposing a single frame?

If this is the exposure time of a single frame than you basically over exposed the object. Try capturing 8 - 10 x 20 minute subs at the same settings and stack them... you'll find your NB data take on the right look.

This is 12 600sec and 5 300 sec each

5 hours ago, carastro said:

OK, have taken a look at the data, I have never used narrowband filters with a DSLR, but the images look extremely noisy with both vertical and horizontal banding.  

It looks to me like this was done from a highly LP location.  I just looked up Lockport New York state on google maps and it certainly looks to be the case and not too far from Niagara with it mini Las Vegas type lighting (I've been there).

If you can I would try to get to a dark location.

Carole 

I have taken RGB images just fine here, wouldn’t it be even better with narrowband? It was also extremely humid and hot outside could that also be a cause?

Archived