NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Pro Altitude Bolts

Hogarth

Hello

Sorry for two quick posts in succession, but a different topic

Got my HEQ5 Pro today (I'm quite a novice).. all assembled to a point

The attitude bolts were really stiff for me to get to 54Deg.. (see pic)

I've seen horrors stories of bent and stripped threads and also upgraded bolts.

From the pic, have I potentially done some damage as the lower one is quite a way in

Also whats the recommended replacement set people use ?? any links 

Thanks again..

bolts.jpg

The top altitude bolt only provides a lock stop for the action of the bottom one, assuming the mount is upright of course.   If you adjust, loosen the top bolt off first, then crank the lower one.  When you tighten the top one back, it only needs to be gently done.  You might want to lightly oil the threads to reduce the resistance.  Had my EQ6 for ten years and haven’t bent the bolts yet (and the head is a LOT heavier than the EQ5) - touch wood!

4 minutes ago, Hogarth said:

Thanks, really stupid question, I presume you leave the bolts in once fitted and adjust as needed, ie you don’t unscrew the bolts out when putting away ??

Correct.

Dave

Google HEQ5 upgrade bolts. I think they are still available on Fleabay. One issue at my Lat. You can't put the cover of the polar scope back on! (Unless of course you shorten the bolt)

(On a general point the existing bolts should only be needed for slight adjustment. Rotate as near as possible by hand.) 

Bolts.jpg

2 hours ago, Hogarth said:

Hello

Sorry for two quick posts in succession, but a different topic

Got my HEQ5 Pro today (I'm quite a novice).. all assembled to a point

The attitude bolts were really stiff for me to get to 54Deg.. (see pic)

I've seen horrors stories of bent and stripped threads and also upgraded bolts.

From the pic, have I potentially done some damage as the lower one is quite a way in

Also whats the recommended replacement set people use ?? any links 

Thanks again..

bolts.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330984010367

Thanks, Yes I saw some of those.. Hmm read Pros and Cons for swapping them out.

Can i ask another silly question.

Is it recommended to take the mount of the tripod when not in use.. I've plenty of space to leave it assembled, just want to know if theres any reason not to leave it as is, (I know it weighs a bit, even without the counterbalance on)

Thanks for the responses so far

No need to take the bolts out, they can be left tightened once you've got them set.  Just be careful you don't swipe them with something, that could bend the bolts or damage the alloy threads.  If your alt setting is around 52 degrees then the bottom bolt will be in quite a way, that's normal.

Wish I had the space (and the strength!) and I would keep mine assembled! Not sure of any downside but others may disagree. Even though the tripod sits in the same place it’s always useful to check Polar alignment and invariably some slight adjustment of the bolts is required

I've had mine about a year and leave it fully assembled- doesn't seem to be a downside to this other than the effort to move it out of the garage. Being a bit hamfisted I've managed to bend one of my bolts badly and used the supplier recommended by Wookie1965. They were ok- bit rough and ready but better than the originals. Due to size I've only used the lower bolt...

Archived