Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some summer objects in Ha with a small frac

RobertI

Last night turned out clear so I decided to further test the SkyProdigy mount as a quick grab and go setup for widefield EAA with my 72mm frac. Spent an hour finding the right combination of connectors to get the right spacing but eventually got a setup that gave F3.7 using a F6.3 SCT reducer. Patchy cloud meant I couldn't use the auto-align, so did a solar system align on Saturn, whizzed to the first object and it was straight in the FOV. Good start. First target the small open cluster NGC6756 in Aquila (non-Ha) on the right of the frame, the results show the typical bloaty stars when using a short FL and Lodestar:

NGC6756_2018.7.31_22_37_33.png.63efb55e91699c7ae2a7bf691525b5a3.png

Next the globular cluster NGC6760, the apparent dark neb at 11 o'clock is actually a mark on the sensor!:

NGC6756_2018.7.31_22_46_47.png.b68d22ad4f605feaf50894b54b73ab02.png

Next the small planetary NGC6871:

NGC6781_2018.7.31_22_56_13.png.2d038612d4d43c5f52a881b6dce78062.png

I thought this might some out well in Ha so popped in the filter and tried again, this time with 20 second exposure, the ring is less defined on the northern edge and this can be seen in the image together with the ring structure:

NGC6781_2018.7.31_23_18_52.png.515f83d92c8a76cbe020d9135b8dba1a.png

Now that I had the Ha filter in I thought a couple of emission nebs were in order, first the the Omega nebula then the Eagle nebula. Although only a few degrees above next door's garage, the results are very pleasing.

M17.Omega.Nebula_2018.7.31_23_30_26.png.18f7ef6f4d3ba7a4b1aa01253c8877b7.png

NGC6611_2018.7.31_23_38_38.png.004fb908ab546ca455feacd4db6e038b.png

Considering this was a test run I was pretty pleased with the results, particularly on emission nebs. The mount certainly is much quicker to set up than the CG5 and seems fine for wide field EAA. The scope/lodestar combination also seems best suited to widefield Ha target such a emission nebs.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice Rob. I've often wondered about how to cobble my f/6.3 focal reducer to my refractors ( I use the f/6.3 with my C6 and C8, so the Lodestar to reducer connection I have taken care of).  Any tips on exactly how you attached the f/6.3 reducer to your refractor?  Thanks.

4 hours ago, alphatripleplus said:

Very nice Rob. I've often wondered about how to cobble my f/6.3 focal reducer to my refractors ( I use the f/6.3 with my C6 and C8, so the Lodestar to reducer connection I have taken care of).  Any tips on exactly how you attached the f/6.3 reducer to your refractor?  Thanks.

Hi Errol,

I use a 2" to SCT converter like this, they are not all that expensive! Just screw it into the reducer, and then slide into the drawtube. You might already have something though, I unscrewed the nosepiece of my 2" diagonal and the thread just happened to fit the reducer (must be an SCT thread), so you may not have to buy anything! ?

Hi Rob I did similar to yourself the skyprodigy has been great when you've little time or small Windows of opportunity, for the last 12months I've been using it with either a ultrastar c or hypercam 183m and a Canon 75-210mm lens its beeñ nice and portable for my trips to Scotland.

Ian

Interesting to hear Ian, sounds like you have a nice setup, perhaps you could share some capures some time (if you havent already!). I am increasingly enjoying the Skyprodigy now that I have ironed out the issues (some self inflicted!). 

I'm happy with the skyprodigy as a grab and go,max I've used on it was the C6 as an experiment. Now the avx is off the road we've had a few evenings were the very quick setup and take down has been advantageous,being able to lift the whole kit and carry it indoors just before the dreaded rain showers saves on stress.

I haven't shared any captures whilst on a personal level I'm happy with  them I've still not mastered the software to enhance them and I tend to try and fit in as much as I can in one evening never giving to much time to one object, a failing I know but i get carried away with the wow and i wonder if i can see that, next thing I know it's 3 in the morning and I'm in work a 6am  lol.

I've enjoyed looking at your work using the skyprodigy  and its prompted me to make more of an effort whilst I'm  sorting out the motor board on the AVX.

Ian

Just been reading your earlier contributions and your trials and tribulations you've been unlucky, I do like the wooden tripod looks to be well constructed.

As a bit of an update Im seriously looking at the Skywatcher AZ GTi to replace the skyprodigy. With the phone app and ascom drivers it looks like an interesting contender, I would miss the starsense align but would gain the use of skysafari with a more comprehensive library.

The question now is how much damage  will the wife do to me if I buy it ?

10 hours ago, wetwalker said:

Just been reading your earlier contributions and your trials and tribulations you've been unlucky, I do like the wooden tripod looks to be well constructed.

As a bit of an update Im seriously looking at the Skywatcher AZ GTi to replace the skyprodigy. With the phone app and ascom drivers it looks like an interesting contender, I would miss the starsense align but would gain the use of skysafari with a more comprehensive library.

The question now is how much damage  will the wife do to me if I buy it ?

Ha ha, well I think the AZ GTi would be a great purchase, I saw one in the flesh and it looked very nice, apart from the tripod! As well as the ability to use Skysafari (which I love and am very familair with) I am also attracted by Freedom Find which seems like a great development. Having said that I am torn between Skywatcher's freedom find to speed up slewing and Celestron's Skyalign to speed up aligning - not sure which would actially be more useful in the field, I am thinking possibly Skyalign, although I do love Skywatcher products. What I would really like of course is an AZ EQ5, but that's some way off. Let us know how you get on with your observing and mount decisions. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob thought Id revisit and let you know I went for the Skywatcher AZ GTi and up to now Im impressed. It took me 1hr to hook it up remotely to the Home router,ascom,platesolving,APT,Sharpcap.skysafari 5 pro android etc etc all running at the same time. Setting it up in eq mode was a doddle now all I need is a clear night to run it all I did try last night but the clouds rolled in 10 minutes after  Id set it up

@wetwalker - Sounds promising Ian, thanks for the update. I'd be very interested to know how you feel the the two mounts compare for stability? I know neither mount has a particularly brilliant tripod (my wooden tripod is a significant improvement), but I'd be interested to know whether you feel the mount heads provide the same stability? Obviously they are completely different types of design, but rated at the same maximum load of 5kg I think. Also, how do you polar align the AZ-GTi ? 

Ive tried 2 methods for alignment

1 used it in its EQ configuration with sharpcap polar align which appeared to work well then did 1 star align and platesolved,didnt have long before clouds rolled in.

2 AZ mode point north and level then use 2 star align select stars goto and fine tune also used platesolve

Unfortunately last night was a very small window of opportunity before clouds covered the already small patches of clear sky.

The skywatcher tripod is adequate but too soon to say much more, Im using a 3 Legged Thing PUNKS Travis with Airhed Neo Ballhead with a  Starwave Micro Geared photo head mainly because it folds up and is very compact not as sturdy as the sw tripod so time will tell.

setup time is fast less than 30mins and it takes me seconds to pick it all up and rush for shelter ?.The wifi setup is spot on, Ive used the celestron skyportal wifi which is abysmal compared to this,great that you can use all the software on the PC and still link into skysafari5 on the android tablet or phone shame it doesn't come with a container of clear sky.

Archived