NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Choosing my first telescope

18 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Well, I did a quick google search on Israel astronomy clubs and turned up the Tel Aviv University Astronomy Club and the Israeli Astronomical Association.  Have you contacted either of them to help steer you to a local star party or outreach event in your area?

I did not see the Tel Aviv University Astronomy Club, they do observe once in a while rather close to where I live, so hopefully the next time I'll be able to join maybe, but I did check about the Israeli Astronomical Association, they have an observations about once a month, but as I said before, its usually at dates Im unable to join, thats why I was looking for individuals that live close to me, so we can meet up and just see a little bit. But so far I haven't found anyone..I posted on a few forums about it, but these forums are so dead ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, msacco said:

I did not see the Tel Aviv University Astronomy Club, they do observe once in a while rather close to where I live, so hopefully the next time I'll be able to join maybe, but I did check about the Israeli Astronomical Association, they have an observations about once a month, but as I said before, its usually at dates Im unable to join, thats why I was looking for individuals that live close to me, so we can meet up and just see a little bit. But so far I haven't found anyone..I posted on a few forums about it, but these forums are so dead ?

That's why it would be good to contact them to find out if they have any members in your local area who would be willing to meet up with you one-on-one.

Just now, Louis D said:

That's why it would be good to contact them to find out if they have any members in your local area who would be willing to meet up with you one-on-one.

I sort of tried that already, I keep trying to post everywhere I can until I'll maybe find someone, thanks a lot for the help tho :)

3 minutes ago, msacco said:

I sort of tried that already, I keep trying to post everywhere I can until I'll maybe find someone, thanks a lot for the help tho :)

Try attending a monthly lecture series meeting if they host such things (many clubs do).  Use the opportunity to network and get to know the members.

10 hours ago, msacco said:

but a tracking motor does seem very useful to me and other friends/family that will use it with me.

This suggests you should get a GoTo (which also tracks, of course.)

While you will learn to control a manual mount fairly quicky you cannot expect occasional observers among friends & family to be so adept.

So they will quickly lose track of the object & you will have to re-aim the scope, while they lose interest.

Also it is surprisingly difficult to find objects manually at first. You will find a lot more targets quickly with a GoTo.

Sounds like you have pretty good skies. I suggest an Alt/Az GoTo of about 130mm aperture.

Avoid Equatorial mounts , too awkward.

9 minutes ago, lenscap said:

This suggests you should get a GoTo (which also tracks, of course.)

While you will learn to control a manual mount fairly quicky you cannot expect occasional observers among friends & family to be so adept.

So they will quickly lose track of the object & you will have to re-aim the scope, while they lose interest.

Also it is surprisingly difficult to find objects manually at first. You will find a lot more targets quickly with a GoTo.

Sounds like you have pretty good skies. I suggest an Alt/Az GoTo of about 130mm aperture.

Avoid Equatorial mounts , too awkward.

I agree and disagree, yes, a goto might be very useful for beginners etc, but if I set an object and then just use the motor drive to follow it, there's no reason for me to really get a goto, because the motor drive just follows it, and there's nothing else that needs to be done, and that way others will be able to enjoy as well.

1 hour ago, msacco said:

there's no reason for me to really get a goto, because the motor drive just follows it,

In order for an Alt/Az mount to track it must have a computer not just motors. If it has a computer these days it will have GoTo.

Of course you could get an Equatorial mount which can track with just one motor & no computer but such a mount is difficult for beginners.

1 minute ago, lenscap said:

In order for an Alt/Az mount to track it must have a computer not just motors. If it has a computer these days it will have GoTo.

Of course you could get an Equatorial mount which can track with just one motor & no computer but such a mount is difficult for beginners.

Both the SkyWatcher 150/750mm or the TAL-2 150/1200mm which Im looking to buy are both equtorial mounts with a motor drive.

I got an offer for a SkyWatcher 200/1000mm with EQ5 goto mount, it seems like a really nice offer, but someone told me that the SkyWatcher 200mm is too heavy for the EQ5 which makes it unstable, what do you guys think? Anyone tried it?

@msacco, I had it's predecessor,  Helios 8", on an EQ5. The mount was an old one with a box-section tripod. It was not up to the job. I replaced the tripod with Vixen HAL 110 and the mount was absolutely fine for visual (not tried it for APP). The later EQ5s come with a better round-section tripod which should be OK.

Older EQ5, like mine, used bad grease on the RA and DEC axes which sets like glue and made the axes very stiff. After I stripped it down and used a lithium based grease (sorry, I can't remember which one now), it worked fine. 

10 minutes ago, melsmore said:

@msacco, I had it's predecessor,  Helios 8", on an EQ5. The mount was an old one with a box-section tripod. It was not up to the job. I replaced the tripod with Vixen HAL 110 and the mount was absolutely fine for visual (not tried it for APP). The later EQ5s come with a better round-section tripod which should be OK.

Older EQ5, like mine, used bad grease on the RA and DEC axes which sets like glue and made the axes very stiff. After I stripped it down and used a lithium based grease (sorry, I can't remember which one now), it worked fine. 

So you're saying that "new" EQ5's should be enough for the skywatcher 200p?

39 minutes ago, msacco said:

So you're saying that "new" EQ5's should be enough for the skywatcher 200p?

Yes for visual, if it has a reasonable tripod and NOT the one shown. Check the axes rotate smoothly, unless you're happy to strip it down and re-grease. 

20180802_151219.jpg

4 hours ago, msacco said:

I got an offer for a SkyWatcher 200/1000mm with EQ5 goto mount, it seems like a really nice offer, but someone told me that the SkyWatcher 200mm is too heavy for the EQ5 which makes it unstable, what do you guys think? Anyone tried it?

I have a very similar 200/1000 Newtonian on a manual/RA motorized EQ-5, with the stainless steel legs.  It's steady enough for visual, particularly with the telescopic tripod legs retracted (which you will have to do anyway, if looking near the zenith).  It's a reputable brand, so if this is what you want, go for it.

4 hours ago, melsmore said:

Yes for visual, if it has a reasonable tripod and NOT the one shown. Check the axes rotate smoothly, unless you're happy to strip it down and re-grease. 

20180802_151219.jpg

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I have a very similar 200/1000 Newtonian on a manual/RA motorized EQ-5, with the stainless steel legs.  It's steady enough for visual, particularly with the telescopic tripod legs retracted (which you will have to do anyway, if looking near the zenith).  It's a reputable brand, so if this is what you want, go for it.

Im not quite sure really, but thats 2 pictures of the telescope with the EQ5, I'd love if you could tell its the good one or whatever :x

38425229_539823879767207_371342497891011

38047728_539893046426957_447906609127594

Btw, for astrophotography you need really good equipment right? Like good camera, good mount and so on, if Im not really planning on doing it, but might do it in the late future, would it be totally impossible, or its possible, but the pictures quality just won't be that good?

Thanks a lot :)

32 minutes ago, msacco said:

Im not quite sure really, but thats 2 pictures of the telescope with the EQ5, I'd love if you could tell its the good one or whatever

Telescope and tripod look like mine, except for the GoTo.  Looks like a good tripod. Round legs on these tripods mean stainless steel.   The upper legs are like scaffold poles. ?

1 minute ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Telescope and tripod look like mine, except for the GoTo.  Looks like a good tripod. Round legs on these tripods mean stainless steel.   The upper legs are like scaffold poles. ?

So should I get it? its a bit more expensive than all the other offers I've had so far, the seller wants to sell it for 760$, I'll try to lower him to 600$ cause thats about the budget I have. But it seems like an awesome deal really..200/1000mm tube, nice mount with goto.

So should I get it? its a bit more expensive than all the other offers I've had so far, the seller wants to sell it for 760$, I'll try to lower him to 600$ cause thats about the budget I have. But it seems like an awesome deal really..200/1000mm tube, nice mount with goto.

That's up to you. If it's what you want...

A fair price might be 2/3 of whatever a new one costs in your country, if it's in good working order and clean. See if he's including whatever he used to power it, otherwise you'll have to buy that yourself. (Currently costs £752 to £800 new in UK).

1 minute ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

That's up to you. If it's what you want...

A fair price might be 2/3 of whatever a new one costs in your country, if it's in good working order and clean. See if he's including whatever he used to power it, otherwise you'll have to buy that yourself. (Currently costs £752 to £800 new in UK).

What do you mean by whatever he used to power it? : o

He bought it 3 years ago for around 1635$ and told me he's not using it for 2 years now, he wanted to sell it initially for 910$, but I told him its too much for me and he said that he can do 760$, thats still a bit high for me so I'll see if I'll be able to lower him a bit more. If you can elaborate on the power thing you said that would be nice.

What do you mean by whatever he used to power it? : o

He bought it 3 years ago for around 1635$ and told me he's not using it for 2 years now, he wanted to sell it initially for 910$, but I told him its too much for me and he said that he can do 760$, thats still a bit high for me so I'll see if I'll be able to lower him a bit more. If you can elaborate on the power thing you said that would be nice.

Unless used telescopes regularly fetch low prices in your country, your case for lowering the price further seems weak. (Unless the seller does not have a +12v power supply with which to demonstrate that the thing actually works, in which you could argue for a low price).

Briefly, like most GoTo telescopes, this will need a DC supply of +12v, connected the right way round, and rated for about five amps.  This supply however could be anything from a mains power pack to a 7AH battery as used in alarm systems, to a car battery, to some exotic battery. So long as it delivers +12 volts.  For further information, see the many discussions on this forum on the subject.  

25 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Unless used telescopes regularly fetch low prices in your country, your case for lowering the price further seems weak. (Unless the seller does not have a +12v power supply with which to demonstrate that the thing actually works, in which you could argue for a low price).

Briefly, like most GoTo telescopes, this will need a DC supply of +12v, connected the right way round, and rated for about five amps.  This supply however could be anything from a mains power pack to a 7AH battery as used in alarm systems, to a car battery, to some exotic battery. So long as it delivers +12 volts.  For further information, see the many discussions on this forum on the subject.  

Don't really know about low prices, but there are not many buyers, so its really hard to sell a telescope here, he didn't even posted it, I posted about buying one and he contacted me, so I doubt someone else will buy it even at lower price, and he stated that it just sits in he's bedroom for 2 years, so I might be able to lower him, 760$ still might be a nice deal, but we'll see about it.

Regarding the power thing, I don't see any reason it would cost that much, I mean, its simply a 12v DC power supply, thats something thats like thrown everywhere in the house, maybe there's an adapter thats a bit costy, but that much? at that price I can buy a new mount o.0

You can maybe send a link of what you mean?

29 minutes ago, msacco said:

Don't really know about low prices, but there are not many buyers, so its really hard to sell a telescope here, he didn't even posted it, I posted about buying one and he contacted me, so I doubt someone else will buy it even at lower price, and he stated that it just sits in he's bedroom for 2 years, so I might be able to lower him, 760$ still might be a nice deal, but we'll see about it.

Regarding the power thing, I don't see any reason it would cost that much, I mean, its simply a 12v DC power supply, thats something thats like thrown everywhere in the house, maybe there's an adapter thats a bit costy, but that much? at that price I can buy a new mount o.0

You can maybe send a link of what you mean?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks.html

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/power-supplies-16-c.asp

These are typical power supplies, including some suitable for GoTo mounts. The "power tank" is a ready to use mains/battery solution. I think you misunderstood about  the price - that's for a new telescope and mount.

You might have a +12v supply about the house, but do check that it's suitable as some are unregulated or do not deliver enough current.

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/power-supplies-16-c.asp

These are typical power supplies, including some suitable for GoTo mounts. The "power tank" is a ready to use mains/battery solution. I think you misunderstood about  the price - that's for a new telescope and mount.

You might have a +12v supply about the house, but do check that it's suitable as some are unregulated or do not deliver enough current.

So basically in the worst case I'll just have to get a power supply? Like the celestron power tank 17ah for 100£?

2 minutes ago, msacco said:

So basically in the worst case I'll just have to get a power supply? Like the celestron power tank 17ah for 100£?

That's definitely the worst case.   My 7AH battery cost under £20, and the borrowed external hard drive power pack cost nothing extra.

Hi.whatever you do decide to buy.please try before you buy..any good dealer will give you a demo or even try out before you buy.also think about where you live.maybe you can just use it in your garden.if you need to travel to a dark site then you may have to carry all your gear in your car.carrying heavy gear could be detrimental to your enjoyment. Lots to think about but take your time.hope this helps.also there maybe a local club where you can see everyone's scope and get to ask all the questions to help you choose.

Archived