NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepieces for Mak 150/1800

pluton

Fortunately your scope with its long focal length is going to give you many options, in many price ranges (its very forgiving). Now of course it depends on targets!. No doubt Planets & the Moon :)

A Baader 8-24mm zoom would cover a lot of ground with your scope. From 75x to 225x. You might want to add a 2" wide angle eyepiece of 30mm-40mm such as a Baader Hyperion 36mm Aspheric for low power viewing and maybe a 6mm such as the Vixen SLV 6mm for nights of good seeing.

9 minutes ago, John said:

A Baader 8-24mm zoom would cover a lot of ground with your scope. From 75x to 225x. You might want to add a 2" wide angle eyepiece of 30mm-40mm such as a Baader Hyperion 36mm Aspheric for low power viewing and maybe a 6mm such as the Vixen SLV 6mm for nights of good seeing.

Indeed.. what John said!. Plus don't discount a Skywatcher Aero ED 35mm .. that would be a nice 'Sky Walk' EP!

TeleVue Delite's (or Radian's) if you have a 2"-1.25" adaptor... or anything TeleVue. The Radians are no longer made, but do come up for sale now and again. I have a Radian 6mm. The photo below is of Mars during the previous opposition (April 2014) from my C6 with Radian 6mm & Baader Neodymium filter and a Olympus compact camera handheld over the e/p from an airport garden near LHR.

P4080017.thumb.JPG.6c828e1845e0261f8b1f88c31e93cab9.JPG

I have not used the Baader 8-24mm zoom as mentioned above, but I would give it some thought if I was after a quality zoom e/p within that price range. I have an 'un-named' 7-21mm from AstroBoot. It gave a pleasing view of Mars two weeks ago during the height of the Martian sandstorm.

I have the 127mm Mak.  The Baader zoom works perfectly in my scope for lunar and planetary viewing.  It cuts down on the hassle of changing eyepieces and offers crisp views.  There's a Mark IV for sale in the for sale section at a great price.

Further down the line you might want to consider a pair of binoviewers.  With the Mak they are amazing, the 3-D effect on the moon is mind blowing.  I use mine with Series 4000 plossls and they work really well.

On 30/07/2018 at 16:17, Rob said:

Indeed.. what John said!. Plus don't discount a Skywatcher Aero ED 35mm .. that would be a nice 'Sky Walk' EP!

Last night I was using an Aero ED 40mm with my F/6.5 102mm refractor to cruise around the milky way. The views were stunning and pretty much sharp to the edge at F/6.5. I'd imagine in a big, slow, mak-cassegrain the Aero ED's would be a brilliant proposition for low power viewing :smiley:

+1 for the Mk 4 Baader 8-24mm zoom, absolutely brilliant! It's given me the best views with my 12 inch Dob of any EP (albeit limited) I've tried so far.

And combined with a 2x Barlow opens up a wonderful range of views.

Archived