NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Two faces of Mars

MarsG76

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Grotemobile said:

I presume it is better to leave off the IR cut filter for Mars. It is a must for Jupiter .

Actually you might be onto something here.... certainly does make sense to capture the IR emission along with the visible spectrum, BUT what about the slightly different point of focus for IR compared to visible spectrurm... here is where we might end up with some slightly out of focus data, hence the reason for seperate captures.

2 minutes ago, Grotemobile said:

I have only got a colour camera , so I cannot capture different colour  

channels like you . I will have to give it a go , with out the I/R filter .    

If you compare with and without the IR filter one after the other, it'll be a great comparison during the same night and conditions. I'm very curious to see what the difference is.

On 30/07/2018 at 11:12, MarsG76 said:

It's an 8" SCT and cameras (CCDs) are Skyris 618C for the color data, and the IS DMK21au618 CCD for IR.

Excellent result for an 8" SCT - I was betting on a C11!

Yes I was also thinking 2018 Mars is about 75% bigger compared to its minimum opposition size, so that helps too. But it is still way smaller than Jupiter, so a really great result.

2 minutes ago, Ags said:

Yes I was also thinking 2018 Mars is about 75% bigger compared to its minimum opposition size, so that helps too. But it is still way smaller than Jupiter, so a really great result.

I'm hoping to have my 14" Skywatcher setup with a electronic focuser and have collimation spot on and ready for next years imaging during Jupiter & Saturn oppositions. That might allow me to resolve a bit more detail. 

3 hours ago, orion25 said:

Beautiful images, Mars! So envious of your latitude :p 

Cheers,

Reggie

The latitude coupled with good seeing results in a massive mars and plenty of visible details on the surface... even with the dust storm...

Mind you tho, I propably will never see Mars like this again... it'll be all of you northerners turn.

Archived