Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoviewers

9 hours ago, Tubby Bear said:

Peter : i meant the 1.25" nosepiece at the other end, not the eyepiece holders (with are always 1.25" in nearly all systems)

I have to disagree with others here as well.

I enjoy low power views a lot of the time using my binos.

I can fit the entire double cluster  into my fov when using the Dob.

Believe me looking at clusters with both eyes with low power is pretty awesome. M11 M13 M42 all look incredible.

I've recently sold my 2" wide field as their was no contest between mono and bino viewing.

Just my humble opinion though......

I don't think we are actually 'disagreeing'.  I readily accept that some observers may prefer to use a binoviewer for wide field as well as high power observing..  After all, we all have our preferences in both equipment and in how we use it - quite right too!  :smile:

PS  Thinking about it, I'd love to try a second Morpheus 17.5mm with my own in my binoviewer if anyone would like to loan me one ?.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As anyone tried using the Orion linear bino viewers?, if so, how did they rate, as they could save you money if you are required to buy additional longer focal length eyepieces to use with normal BV .    

To respond to the OP's question: I have a pair of WO binoviewers which I now use more than my mono eyepieces.  I use the WO 20 mm eyepieces, the WO 1.6X and 2.0X Barlows, and I have a pair of Pentax XF 12mm eyepieces which have a very flat field and are good for close-in work.  I have a rafcamera 26mm -> T2 adaptor that allows me to use a 2" nosepiece, for compatibility with my other kit.

Binos work for me: I can split doubles with the binos that I can't with any of my (expensive) mono eyepieces, and I can view for longer without tiring my eyes.  That's what makes them the ocular of choice for me.

I have only read great things about the WO bino's. Personally I have always wanted a pair, but it throws the weight of my scope off big time. So an extra counterbalance may be needed. Let us know how you get on with them  (if you buy em).

Archived