Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

fits thumbnail viewer

alacant

Ubuntu 18.04

Hi everyone

Does anyone know of an app which will display thumbnails of fits files? Thinking of a file manager which can display fits as it does jpg thumbs...

Cheers and clear skies

14 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

one of these ?

Hi. Unfortunately not. None of them produce thumbnails. Or if they do, I missed it. Do tell if you know otherwise. AFAICT it can't be done on Linux:(

Cheers

I assume there are several reasons why implementing is more cumbersome the ordinary images:

1) FITS file are uncompressed and could be 20 to 30 mbytes large. 

2) Images are detailed and with many small stars/object which could be difficult to recognize if reduced to thumbnail size.

3) Applying the correct range brightness/contrast adjustments via histogram to make faint deepsky objects visible.

4) In most cases FITS files are a series of the same object and only the quality varies a little which will be invisible in a thumbnail image.

For ASTAP viewer I have implemented as a scroll function while maintaining the selected image zoom factor and position. You can scroll through the images with the cursors keys. The image is then displayed in one or two seconds and you can observe the same tiny fraction of the image on pixel level and compare them on quality. 

To introduce thumbnails I would have to make reasonable large preview images in advance, similar as Windows does.

Maybe GIMP can do it since it can read FITS files.

Han

The Dolphin image viewer (Windows) I found seems designed for dentist records and can't view FITS files. Gwenview  seems only available for Linux. Gimp can't preview FITS images.

The viewer of ASTAP 0.9.89 has now an experimental FITS only thumbnail preview menu (ctrl-T). The thumbnail size follows form size and can be any size. Available for Windows and Linux. The thumbnails have a pop-up for some actions.

astap_thumnails.thumb.jpg.92f674ef4c34ad9e14395fa9da812096.jpg

Archived